illustration thread

Post illustrations, animation, graphic design, sketches, etc.
Og

Post by Og » Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:02 am

Yep. The fuzzy edges are no friend to you, Frank. I'm begging to see the rest of that missing shoe. If that poked out of that fuzzy edge, I think that might be better.
ImageImage

Frank Stockton

Post by Frank Stockton » Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:04 pm

Thanks OG. Unfortunately, I don't give up when I get negative feedback. I'm going to keep chipping away at it until I find a way to make them work.

f.
"I do not get discouraged, because every wrong attempt discarded is another step forward"
--Thomas Edison

http://www.frankstockton.com

Frank Stockton

playboy

Post by Frank Stockton » Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:08 pm

In an epic battle of wills, Hugh Hefner killed this spread illustration in what was to be my first of four serialized spread illustrations for the popular men's magazine.

I will blog the story on my site soon, along with prep sketches and early phases of the artwork.

f.
"I do not get discouraged, because every wrong attempt discarded is another step forward"
--Thomas Edison

hethe

Post by hethe » Wed Apr 23, 2008 4:39 pm

That's phenomenal!! One of my favorites from you. Only reason I can't say favorite is because I have too many favorites of yours and I couldn't be made to choose. Only crit is the way the right edge on both mike heads sort of lines up with the wall edge. It makes a buggy tangent for my eyes.

I'm curious to see more efforts at fuzzy edges. I know one way I'd like them better is if they felt more organic or didn't effect everything at the edge of the illo (like the shoe mentioned) or maybe if it wasn't a fuzzy box but instead a fuzzy circle. Or, if it were to be a box the fuzzy edge radiated out instead of just fuzzed out. Just some thoughts.
"The object of art is not to reproduce reality, but to
create a reality of the same intensity."
-Giacometti

abeoh

Post by abeoh » Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:47 pm

hey frank! i love your work! I get excted everytime I see your work in print in magazines, I say dude, i know this person from this forum and his site. Keep up the good work man. Big fan..

Frank Stockton

Post by Frank Stockton » Fri Apr 25, 2008 6:00 am

hethe wrote:That's phenomenal!! One of my favorites from you. Only reason I can't say favorite is because I have too many favorites of yours and I couldn't be made to choose. Only crit is the way the right edge on both mike heads sort of lines up with the wall edge. It makes a buggy tangent for my eyes.
There's actually an overlap there on both sides that doesn't read well when the image is this small. There's gonna be a larger version up in the near future where all the wonderful tangents are easily readable.

f.
--Thomas Edison

Dan Santat

Post by Dan Santat » Fri Apr 25, 2008 8:09 am

HAHA I have to confess that I get all excited and giddy when I see that you update this thread Frank. It's like being a little kid and finding out your dad came home with a new toy for you to play with.
Dan is my name. Art is what I do.

Dr_Watsman

Post by Dr_Watsman » Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:09 am

I'm glad you took the time to finish it. I'm sure another opportunity for you to illustrate with playboy will...arise? I couldn't help myself.

Just out of curiosity, did you entitle the blog entry "Psycho Killer" to pay homage to The Talking Heads?

Frank Stockton

Post by Frank Stockton » Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:55 am

Dr_Watsman wrote: Just out of curiosity, did you entitle the blog entry "Psycho Killer" to pay homage to The Talking Heads?
sort of, I mean I know the song, and that's where the phrase comes from, but its not really related to the song.

Also, thanks everyone else who checks out this thread. That's why I keep updating it.

f.
--Thomas Edison

Tudor City

Post by Tudor City » Fri Apr 25, 2008 11:31 am

Your work is phenomenal man. Love your sense of depth and shape.

Makafui

Post by Makafui » Mon May 05, 2008 2:37 pm

i've been away from forums in general for a while... frank... you going to make my head explode... I'm off to bed.

Frank Stockton

Post by Frank Stockton » Thu May 08, 2008 7:35 am

My poor, neglected illustration thread.

I haven't updated as often as I had promised because I'm not so pumped about the following illustrations, but they're ok I think. These are some of the smaller jobs I've done lately:

These were for some article for Entertainment Weekly, a new client. I heard that it's actually on stands right now, but haven't been able to find a copy of Entertainment weekly. D'oh! By the way I've shown them extra small here because this is roughly how big they'll probably look in the magazine.

For "Jimmy the Bartender" column, tiny spots. I can't remember if this is for Men's Fitness or Men's Health. The irony of this is that the last time I did a job for them, they credited my work to Zohar Lazar. That's what they get!
I like the first one but the 2nd one isn't doing it for me. Oh well.

ESPN job that I did last minute last week--
Sometimes they call and have their own idea in mind... unfortunately those don't tend to come out so well, but I try to take as much work as I can handle so that I'll have more money to invest at the end of the month.
This is Mark Cuban having a nightmare about a conceived future with no Dirk Nowitzki.

I totally forgot this was due yesterday and whipped it up in about 5 hours. Heh. It's for Field & Stream. My second job for them in 2 weeks -- the art director really likes me, which is great! I hope they come to me with a big project soon. Oh, this is a how-to on CPR. They wanted to do something more interesting than the typical infographic style how-to's. I wish I did the title lettering differently.

--

Ok so, one thing I've learned is that when you get spots, which tend to be my bread and butter--you tend to get less-interesting jobs and more art direction than when you have a feature or a full-page. Obviously you always want to do a good job but frequently they're on such a short turnaround and there are so many that it's tough.

peace out!

f.
--Thomas Edison

Frank Stockton

Post by Frank Stockton » Mon May 19, 2008 6:35 pm

These are for Seattle Magazine. I'm going to be featured in their contributors section.

f.
--Thomas Edison

Muffin

Post by Muffin » Tue May 20, 2008 3:14 am

this actually made my tummy jolt a little and my neck hair tingle. very, very cool Frank. Amazing angle and just fantastic finish.

campy22

Post by campy22 » Tue May 20, 2008 10:08 am

Oh man.. that bear attacking the kid...the first second I saw it I got scared
you are AMAZING Frank!
wow