illustration thread

Post illustrations, animation, graphic design, sketches, etc.
Frank Stockton

Post by Frank Stockton » Thu Feb 28, 2008 8:00 am

Just finished this full page illo. for Vibe.

Interesting story; I was called by the AD and asked to do the piece in a short turnaround, with a low budget (1k). I told him

"I'm flattered but am too busy at this point to be able to do something that would be of the quality I would want in the magazine."

He replied "I can really respect that." then basically told me he loved my stuff and begged me to do it until I conceded.

Then he offered me a little more money (not much) and told me they have their own concept already--which is a terrible thing 99% of the time. The illustration was to be of the band Gnarls Barkley for an album review they have coming up.

"Their new album is sort of about stripping away all the characters and personas they've had in the past, so we want you to do Russian Dolls with them, naked in the center, like covering their junk with their hands."

I was disappointed by now that I had taken the assignment, and tried to convince them to go with another solution--anything, a straight-up portrait, whatever. They of course loved their own concept the best, and I was too busy with other stuff to do something that was good enough to convince them otherwise.

Anyway the piece was at least really easy to do and doesn't totally suck, though it's not a portfolio piece. I usually try to make everything a portfolio piece. Best part of the assignment: Excuse to check out a new musical artist. NIIICE!

f.
"I do not get discouraged, because every wrong attempt discarded is another step forward"
--Thomas Edison

http://www.frankstockton.com

Greatnation

Post by Greatnation » Thu Feb 28, 2008 11:39 am

Ya done good Frank.

Now you've gotta work on your jive.

Frank Stockton

so busy, coolest job EVER

Post by Frank Stockton » Sat Mar 08, 2008 5:47 pm

Howdy,

I just turned in the COOLEST job I've ever done.

There are three things you should look for in an illustration assignment when the phone rings: Time, Money, and Creative Freedom. A job in which you get two out of three is a taker; one with all three is very rare.

This was one of those jobs.

I don't have time to get into too much detail about it, but basically I spent four weeks on this job for ESPN, 6 FULL PAGES! which racks up a lot of cash, and is quite the motivator to do a good job, especially when I have things like James Jean's epic 6 page NBA feature from a couple of years ago burned into my brain--also for ESPN--as the bar of excellence I'm striving for.

Plus, this job was a COMIC!!! which I love doing, AND they gave me the prose story to work from, so I got to do my own adaptation of the story, and the writer went back at the end and got to do the words. It was an amazing ping-pong match of creativity that I am sooooo stoked to be a part of.

I have to tell you, while I was making this thing, as it got closer and closer to being finished my eyes started glowing red and my computer actually burst into flames from all the intensity that was pouring out of me.

It was great.

Anyway, i am posting the finished art MINUS the words, which are AWESOME because I don't know if the writer would be OK with that. I hand lettered the mother fucker too--

This should be running in the magazine in a week or so, I promise to blog it on my site in excruciating detail, and I promise nothing but awesome sexy awesomeness.

stay rad,

f.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
"I do not get discouraged, because every wrong attempt discarded is another step forward"
--Thomas Edison

Og

Post by Og » Sat Mar 08, 2008 6:19 pm

Very anxious to read the thing, envious as hell, but very excited for you. What a great gig!
ImageImage

hethe

Post by hethe » Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:19 am

Dang, that's very gorgeous! Your big shots just get me deep down. Great figure work!
"The object of art is not to reproduce reality, but to
create a reality of the same intensity."
-Giacometti

agent44

Post by agent44 » Mon Mar 10, 2008 1:43 pm

Wow. THis might be the first time I ever even thought of buying a copy of ESPN. Love your work.

Frank Stockton

Post by Frank Stockton » Mon Mar 10, 2008 2:55 pm

agent44 wrote:Wow. THis might be the first time I ever even thought of buying a copy of ESPN. Love your work.
buy it! lol. I think when we get jobs like this and they work out well it just makes them want to hire more illustrators.

oh, there's actually text in the printed version... so you can read it when it comes out.

f.
--Thomas Edison

Greatnation

Post by Greatnation » Mon Mar 10, 2008 3:54 pm

love it man.

I like that he looks like you.

MG

Post by MG » Mon Mar 10, 2008 5:22 pm

way cool. It'd be pretty awesome if you wanted to just post the text here... :D but it looks I might have to go get me a copy of that magazine. that's good stuff.

Tony

Post by Tony » Mon Mar 10, 2008 6:04 pm

Wow, cool. That IS sexy awesomeness.

Muffin

Post by Muffin » Tue Mar 11, 2008 3:48 pm

Woooow Frank! O_º

Whespn can I get myself some ESPN?
Honestly - I'm tempted to buy an original Frank soon too. What to I have to do for it?

Frank Stockton

Post by Frank Stockton » Tue Mar 11, 2008 11:33 pm

Muffin wrote:Woooow Frank! O_º

Whespn can I get myself some ESPN?

supposed to hit stands on thursday!!!

f.
--Thomas Edison

Muffin

Post by Muffin » Wed Mar 12, 2008 2:00 am

Well hello da di da!
I'm in Norway.

D':

willmj

Post by willmj » Wed Mar 12, 2008 2:52 am

I love what you with spacing, timing and colour in your comics... Impressive!

campy22

Post by campy22 » Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:39 am

AH!
I'll definitely buy this one..
Beautiful as usual..and I particularly like that softball pitcher!(^_^)