I'd like to introduce myself ...

Post illustrations, animation, graphic design, sketches, etc.
hethe

I'd like to introduce myself ...

Post by hethe » Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:28 am

Hi, my name is Hethe and I work as a concept artist at Rockstar Games. I post on a few other boards (cloudnine and conceptart) so please excuse if you've seen my stuff before. I really really like the environment at this board. It seems to jive with what really excites me artistically, things like story and animation. I thought I might make a few friends over here and get some inspiration from you all as well. As an introduction you can check out my blog, http://hethesrodawa.blogspot.com/, and a few pics from it below:

"The object of art is not to reproduce reality, but to
create a reality of the same intensity."
-Giacometti

Frank Stockton

Post by Frank Stockton » Tue Sep 25, 2007 11:22 am

They're all very good. You went to Art Center, no?

frank
"I do not get discouraged, because every wrong attempt discarded is another step forward"
--Thomas Edison

http://www.frankstockton.com

hethe

Post by hethe » Tue Sep 25, 2007 11:54 am

Thanks Frank, but I wouldn't use the word 'very'. Your work is very very good. A past coworker of mine, Shelly Wan, showed me your stuff about 8 months back or something and I really liked it. But no, I didn't go to Art Center. I studied graphic design at Biola University before I figured out that all I want to do is draw and paint. Unfortunately I didn't figure that out until after I graduated.
-Giacometti

MG

Post by MG » Tue Sep 25, 2007 1:29 pm

Oh, wow. Awesome stuff. I particularly like the second one, great use of color, brushstrokes and lighting effects. Welcome!

Rad Sechrist

re

Post by Rad Sechrist » Tue Sep 25, 2007 2:31 pm

Wow! Amazing stuff.

jdalton

Post by jdalton » Tue Sep 25, 2007 7:47 pm

Cool.
Jonathon Dalton
Image Image

ZidaneTheKing

Post by ZidaneTheKing » Wed Sep 26, 2007 12:17 pm

Very nice.

hethe

Post by hethe » Wed Sep 26, 2007 9:05 pm

Thanks for the welcome people!
-Giacometti

Dan Santat

Post by Dan Santat » Thu Sep 27, 2007 1:43 am

Very VERY Niiice..... HI FIVE!
Dan is my name. Art is what I do.

frak

Post by frak » Fri Sep 28, 2007 1:09 pm

HETHE!!! Welcome to the forum man, I look forward to you posting!
Frankie Franco III
psalm 25:11
www.frakfraco.com
frakfraco.blogspot.com

campy22

Post by campy22 » Sat Sep 29, 2007 8:25 am

I like this a lot.
I do think the bubbles in the image with the guy and the robot in the bar is a little out of place, but I understand that you are trying to imply a story in there.

I really don't think you should do it by using bubbles but rather by focusing on elements of composition that would give you an idea of the past and the future. By that I mean that in order to tell a story in a single image, the viewer has to get a sense of what happened before the snapshot he's watching, how did the characters get there or the situation get created, and, what could potentially happen next.

Your art is superb. I'd love to see it have a tiny little bit more of a story to it

roma

Post by roma » Sat Sep 29, 2007 3:32 pm

Wow, that is some introduction. Wonderful work. What is this Art Center that everyone is talking about?

hethe

Post by hethe » Sun Sep 30, 2007 9:04 am

Hey frak! Thanks for the welcome people. Campy22, I appreciate your insight and thoughts. Thank you. What you touched on is something I've been thinking about for a couple of months now. My wife has actually pointed it out before. The particular piece you mentioned with the word balloons was actually a style test for a short comic I'm working on so the word balloons were essential to me but regardless your comments were insightful. Your work is very strong in the area you criticized mine and I'd like mine to be as strong as yours soon.

Art Center is a good art school in Los Angeles. Google it. I almost enrolled 2 years after I graduated with my bachelors degree because I was still trying to get out of graphic design into concept design and wondered if I'd ever make it without the foundation that a place like that can offer. Fortunately I was given a chance right at that point at a very small studio where we worked on new projects weekly or monthly. I was able to draw constantly during that time and was forced to change styles for different projects and draw everything from characters to environments to robots and even matte paintings (for the Gauntlet Seven Sorrows and Perfect Dark Zero cinematic trailers). That job which lasted 10 months before the company folded gave me a portfolio that got me a job at R*games. This job has been an even deeper albeit more focussed learning experience. I've spent 2 years on the same project thus far. I'm very thankful for the opportunities that I've been given. But I'd recommend going to a place like Art Center when you're younger if you have the opportunity. It might save someone some of the time it's taken me to get going.
-Giacometti

TheHead

Post by TheHead » Sun Sep 30, 2007 2:11 pm

Great work!
excellent sense of color and atmosphere!

The only thing I might suggest (and that is just because you mentioned that you are really interested in storytelling)
is to be ABSOLUTELY certain of what you have to say.

Know your story before doing anything else. That's the safest way not to get caught up in the drawing process. If the story is there, the art has a goal to achieve, and that way, in comics for example, you can sense how much amount of work is needed in each panel in order to be functional story-wise (or for an illustration for that matter)

You'll have a point of reference to give you a sense of balance, to know what's working and what's not. to remind you that you might be overworking something or the other way around, and most importantly you are giving to the viewer much more than just a technically perfect drawing. You are giving him an actual experience.

I am looking forward to see more of your stuff!

hethe

Post by hethe » Sun Sep 30, 2007 5:53 pm

Mmm, thanks. Food for thought.
-Giacometti