childrens book vs cover style

Post illustrations, animation, graphic design, sketches, etc.
Eric UNSL

childrens book vs cover style

Post by Eric UNSL » Sat Aug 25, 2007 8:53 pm

Hey guys,

this is my first art post. I'm kinda all over the place at the moment and could use some help. I'm producing samples for bookcovers and also working on a few pages of a childrens book. I really commend artists that find and develop their style or just have something unique in there work that is instantly recognizable. Both my cover work and childrens samples are complete polar opposites I think. Going from photo real to cartoonish and I can't decide which way I prefer more. The Childrens stuff is a relaxing change from referencing everything all the time. I also really enjoy hard edge high tech sci fi. It's been suggested that I blend the two looks into some hybrid style but I don't know. Anyway, let me just show ya'll what I mean. Maybe some of you can give me a little insight. I know ultimately it's something I have to work out myself but I thought I'd share.

my attempt at a cartoon robot design. too "Robots" but really unintentional. Guess I was imagining I was designing for the film.

JP

Post by JP » Mon Aug 27, 2007 12:15 am

Welcome aboard, Eric! These are really nice pieces. I especially like the second one, the boy. It's nice to see the sketch aswell. I find your colouring style very close to heart, as the colours seem really thick, like I'd almost be able to touch them on the screen. The last pic with the girl is good, I like the point of view, but I'd pay more attention to the clothes and stuff. The monsters are painted with extreme care but something's lacking from the pants and etc.

But otherwise, good job my friend! :D

ElnJJ

Post by ElnJJ » Mon Aug 27, 2007 2:57 am

Love the atmosphere conveyed by the first piece, it makes the old childhood playground setting spring into life, it feels like looking at somewhere I've actually been. Agree with JP on the final pic - the upper half seems to leap off the page with detail and realism, (her face and the creases in the striped t-shirt are particularly good,) but the pants look 'tight', static; also the strips of light seem a little two dimensional. As for combining your approaches, of course this is subjective, but I've always admired artists who can produce work in a variety of styles, through a number of mediums. So I'd say work on both techniques until they're truly distinct yet have both become recognisable as having been drawn by you. :) Overall, though, good work - look forward to seeing more. :)

Plognark

Post by Plognark » Mon Aug 27, 2007 8:05 am

Look, I really have no help to offer someone who's better than me :wink:

Eric UNSL

Post by Eric UNSL » Sat Sep 08, 2007 9:21 am

Thanks guys for your feedback,

I'll try to pay more attention to the little details and I think I will bridge the gap between styles when necessary but I like the realistic stuff fine as is.

JP: thanks, I've been trying for the past year to get a more brushy thick look to the work I do in photoshop. Trying to avoid painter completely.

EW