Friend's Daughter

Post illustrations, animation, graphic design, sketches, etc.
Threshold

Friend's Daughter

Post by Threshold » Wed Aug 01, 2007 9:12 pm

gomen kudasai! Sorry, I've wanted to be on here more often, but I'm so busy. Hope this makes up a little bit. Someone I worked with at the community college asked me about a commission of her daughter shortly before I graduated. She forgot about it, but I didn't. I started it around two weeks ago and surprised her today at work. She liked it. :D Here it is.

Muffin

Post by Muffin » Thu Aug 02, 2007 12:07 am

its really cute, Threshold! You've put a lot of expression in her eyes. :) What a nice thing to do for a friend.

Frank Stockton

Post by Frank Stockton » Thu Aug 02, 2007 9:20 am

very cool, I really like that drawing actually (and I dont' like much)
"I do not get discouraged, because every wrong attempt discarded is another step forward"
--Thomas Edison

http://www.frankstockton.com

Threshold

Post by Threshold » Thu Aug 02, 2007 10:54 pm

Muffin - She's got her mom's eyes. Expressive = yes.

Frank - Haha, thanks. I've got to say this is the happiest I've been with a finished drawing in a long while.

kiolia

Post by kiolia » Fri Aug 03, 2007 1:42 pm

Cool beans, dude! I'd suggest only that you take a hunk off the right side for the sake of composition/balance (and maybe push the contrast, but it probably would be hard with that media). I'm not surprised that she was pleased with it, in any case. Good to see you continuing to step up your game :)

Threshold

Post by Threshold » Fri Aug 03, 2007 4:58 pm

James, you're right about that right side ('hunk' is a good word.) Since I had a photo reference, I sorta "switched off" a lot of the stuff I should have been thinking of. I was trying to stick to a standard size (8x10).
As for the contrast, yeah. Col-erase pencil and all that. Thanks for the comments.

By the way, has anyone else noticed that you seem to get a lot better after a tough project? Sketchbooks are great for exploring and stuff, but I feel like I only really get better after doing big stuff.