Forest of Ghosts (Updated 05/28/2007)

Post illustrations, animation, graphic design, sketches, etc.
Swizec

Post by Swizec » Thu May 10, 2007 5:16 am

I like hte midnight one better because the colours seem richer and more vibrant. The dawn one looks a bit washed out ... to me at least. And you forgot that dawn has a blue hue to it.

Felix

Post by Felix » Thu May 10, 2007 8:12 am

The midnight one is better; the gradient fade on the dawn image is very flat. It makes the foreground far to two-dimensional. The midnight gives it a bit of depth, but i feel you're losing the integrity of the original drawing with such careful colouring.

Scott Hallett

Post by Scott Hallett » Fri May 11, 2007 11:36 am

Swizec: I might have been a bit misleading on the Dawn/Midnight thing...it was more to label as close to the time they represent. Thanks for looking.

Felix: I'm not sure I understand what you mean by 'careful colouring', but thanks for your input.

Felix

Post by Felix » Sun May 13, 2007 8:11 am

I meant that the original drawing has a playful quality to it. It's enjoyable to look at; but the way you've coloured it - particularly the trees - detracts from that. The composition is flattened and the texure of the bark and rock surface is lost. The substance of the picture is hidden by the tidy blends and fades. The un-coloured version reminds me of Albert Uderzo, but where the two differ is in the style of colouring. (His was very flat and block colours and more cartoon-like) But he made sure to never lose the integrity of the line. Not that you should copy him, just mean to provide a visual reference to what I'm saying.

Hope that explains it better.

Frank Stockton

Post by Frank Stockton » Sun May 13, 2007 8:44 am

the moss & mushrooms make me think they're in a forest or something, but the rest of the background behind the trees is just blank. Shouldn't that be filled with trees or leaves or something?

f.
"I do not get discouraged, because every wrong attempt discarded is another step forward"
--Thomas Edison

http://www.frankstockton.com

Scott Hallett

Post by Scott Hallett » Sun May 13, 2007 5:16 pm

Felix: Thank you for your explanation! I think you've put your finger on the 'not quite right' that's been nagging me a bit. I do like the picture, but I think you've pointed out some critical aspects. Thank you.

I've played with more cartoony, cel-shaded coloring in the past, but never quite liked the results. I find it's a fine line to walk in some respects. On one hand I like the style and character of a cartoonier aproach, but then some nagging part of me wants to make things look realistic.

Frank: You caught me. I did mean it to be more in a forest, but opted for the hazy background. It wasn't originally intended to be a finished piece, it just sort of ran away from me.

Kazu
Site Admin

Post by Kazu » Sun May 13, 2007 5:51 pm

Since I'm all about silhouettes and value contrast, I prefer the dawn image. I imagine, though, that if the hill and trees were lit properly in the midnight one, it could be pretty compelling. The light source in the midnight image seems to be above and behind the scene (the moon), so pretty much everything should be in silhouette, with the light accentuating the top edges of the hill and trees and tombstone. Also, since the scene is very dark, we would see very little of the local color, making the greens, oranges, and blues much less vibrant, very muted. In fact, it would all be nearly monochromatic. Now, stylistically, you can shoose to light it any way you want, but my reasoning for this has to do with how our eyes perceive light information (our eyes read info by way of receptors called rods and cones). When it's bright, we see things clearly in color (cones), but when it's dark, we lose color information and see things based more on black and white value contrast (rods).

When a viewer sees the image and is reminded of things they already know or have seen, then communication beyond the image is occurring successfully. And not only does this apply to things like style (as this does remind me of Miyazaki's work in a good way), but it also applies to understanding the ways we perceive basic information, like light. Hope that makes sense and is helpful somehow. It's a cool drawing! :D

Scott Hallett

Post by Scott Hallett » Mon May 14, 2007 7:55 am

Thanks Kazu! I think you've succinctly nailed down why I was wanting to like the midnight image more, but ultimately feeling the dawn was the stronger piece. I knew in the back of my head that the lighting was incorrect, but I think I initially liked the results. I've always approached night lit situations in terms of monochrome blues/magentas, but this one came about after the first piece was complete, and as I said, I was initially taken by the results. Upon reflection it started to get that 'not quite right' feeling.

Thanks for all the kind words and helpful hints guys. This has all been very informative for me, and I'll try to take all of these lessons back to the drawing board. Thanks again!

Scott Hallett

Post by Scott Hallett » Mon May 28, 2007 7:33 am

Still plugging away on this one. Here's the "inks" for the first page. I'll probably tone down the darkness on a lot of this once the colors are in place. C+C welcome!

jgriffiths

Post by jgriffiths » Mon May 28, 2007 2:55 pm

You could do with a darker/stronger outline on the character, especially in the first panel, as she looks really out of place. Or is she also going to be a ghost?

Scott Hallett

Post by Scott Hallett » Wed May 30, 2007 12:57 pm

She's going to be a bolder color than her surroundings, so I hope she's make more sense in the color version. Thanks for looking.

jgriffiths

Post by jgriffiths » Wed May 30, 2007 6:11 pm

Oh right cool, if this is planned for colour its fine, just as lines it looks slightly off.