Forest of Ghosts (Updated 05/28/2007)

Post illustrations, animation, graphic design, sketches, etc.
Scott Hallett

Forest of Ghosts (Updated 05/28/2007)

Post by Scott Hallett » Fri May 04, 2007 7:19 am

Just trying to work out backgrounds/environments for a short story that won't let me sleep. Any comments or criticisms would be great.

Last edited by Scott Hallett on Mon May 28, 2007 7:34 am, edited 2 times in total.

Og

Post by Og » Fri May 04, 2007 7:25 am

I don't have any insightful critique, Scott... this looks really nice and I'd love to see more of it.

Have you been thinking about colors? How long do you expect it to be? How many characters do you think you'll have aside from the ghosts?
ImageImage

Scott Hallett

Post by Scott Hallett » Fri May 04, 2007 8:20 am

Thanks Steve! I want to try and keep it under 10 pages, if not shorter. I haven't thought too much about color yet, I usually fly by the seat of my pants in that regard. I do know I want the ghosts to be a transparent grey, black, blue or purple...anything but traditional white.

The story's actually just a meeting of two individuals, the ghosts are more of a by product (if that makes sense). I've toyed with the idea of a sidekick, but we'll see. Ideally, the main character would have enough weight to carry a series of shorter stories, so perhaps the side kick can wait.

Thanks again!

angeldevil

Post by angeldevil » Fri May 04, 2007 8:31 am

I love the way you drew the rocks with the mossy top, I mean, the figures are neat also, but details like that always reel me in.

TmDurn7

Post by TmDurn7 » Sat May 05, 2007 10:48 am

ooooh man. i am excited to see this in its finished form. i love the atmosphere that you get with the grassy areas and the totemic stones. awesome sketch

Scott Hallett

Post by Scott Hallett » Sat May 05, 2007 7:08 pm

Couldn't quite decide what time of day it was, so I made two:

Dawn:

Midnight:

Any C+C would be really appreciated. Thanks for looking!

Og

Post by Og » Sat May 05, 2007 7:25 pm

For my money, Midnight.

Hands down.

:wink:
ImageImage

thirdeyeh

Post by thirdeyeh » Sat May 05, 2007 9:35 pm

Man you got Studio Ghibli written all over this thing. It's like a mixture between the forest spirits in Princess Mononokee and that one greedy spirit in Spirited Away. And I love it. It looks really great!!! The colors are beautifully atmospheric and full of character.

But I have to disagree with Og. I like the Dawn one a lot more. I think the spirits really look mystical there. It takes them beyond scaryu night time thingies to real presence. However I'm not familiar enough with the story to say one way or another what would suit it best. Make story king. I know this is an illustration not a comic but I'm just trying to get you think of the story in your head and how to best present that even in your sketches and illustrations.

It really does look great though.

Scott Hallett

Post by Scott Hallett » Sun May 06, 2007 6:31 am

Thanks Steve/Michael,

I really appreciate the input. This illustration is for a story idea, and I think the story will actually occur from dawn into the night, so I'll be utilizing both atmospheres. I'm really glad you guys like them, I tried to pour myself into this one.

kiolia

Post by kiolia » Sun May 06, 2007 7:15 am

I, too, prefer the dawn one. I like the interaction of the warm sky tones with the cool foreground a good deal more.

pH

Post by pH » Sun May 06, 2007 3:41 pm

You've seen miyazaki films right?

This reminds me of that a lot.

If you haven't, they could be very inspiring for you. Princess Namaoke, Howle's Moving Castle, and Spirited Away would be great to watch.

:wink:

kidnemo

Post by kidnemo » Mon May 07, 2007 7:01 am

Slickness.

I think I like the midnight version better. The dark blue background clinches it for me.
Image Image

mr cow

Post by mr cow » Mon May 07, 2007 7:17 am

those are very, very cool scott. i like the first one personally. it has a more ethereal feel to it rather than a spooky mood like the midnight one suggests.

love the way you handled the ghosts.

Scott Hallett

Post by Scott Hallett » Mon May 07, 2007 7:21 am

pH: I have seen most of Studio Ghibli's films, although it's been a few years since I've seen Princess Mononoke. I've found most of the great Japanese storyteller's to be an inspiration for most of my life. I think it's that aesthetic that drew my to the Flight books in the first place.

Thanks for all the input guys, although the vote seems to be down the middle ;)

Mikie

Post by Mikie » Wed May 09, 2007 11:18 pm

Scott Hallett wrote:Couldn't quite decide what time of day it was, so I made two:

Dawn:

Midnight:

Any C+C would be really appreciated. Thanks for looking!
Awesome! I love them both. I think I like the contrast of day, but the midnight version makes more sense thematically.