Lewis Trondheim

Recommend books, comics, graphic novels, etc.
agent44

Lewis Trondheim

Post by agent44 » Fri Mar 09, 2007 7:40 am

Are you familiar with Lewis Trondheim? I haven't read any of his books, though I'm extremely intrigued by his style. I'm just curious where to start. He's anything if not prolific, which leaves me at a loss of what I should pick up first. Have you read the Donjon books? How are they? Any info you have would be great.

Thanks.

Joey

Post by Joey » Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:42 am

Trondheim is really good! And the Dungeon series is really, really, really, really....really, really, (really!) good!

Ha ha, now that I've got your hopes up.... :P

Anyway, Trondheim doesn't illustrate all of the Dungeon books, but they're all totally great. Dungeon is masterminded by Trondheim and Joann Sfar, and it's a series so huge in scale, that I'm doubtful that we'll ever see the 3 storylines (The Early Years, Zenith, and Twilight) actually hook up, unfortunately. But the idea is that they're at the beginning of the Dungeon, it's most successful middle point, and it's downfall (not to mention possibly the end of the world!). It's a lot of fun, and totally wacky and unpredictable!

So, anyway I definitely recommend Dungeon and all other Trondheim works! They're a lot of fun!
Visit the Tragic Planet!

Kean
Site Admin

Post by Kean » Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:57 am

I've only read a couple of Trondheim's books, but the ones I have read (Mister O and A.L.I.E.E.E.N.) literally had me laughing out loud. The guy has a truly warped sense of humour.

Case in point: the incredibly terrible thing that happens to the cute little alien puppy dog thing on page 2 of ALIEEEN had me in stitches. :D

agent44

Post by agent44 » Fri Mar 09, 2007 12:42 pm

oh man....THAT was hilarious, kean. Thank you. I loved the little eyeball part too.

So, Dungeon it is then. I'm puttin it on my amazon shopping list. And alieeen, too. Thanks Joey.

KevinR

Post by KevinR » Wed Apr 11, 2007 3:54 am

Lewis Trondheim's work is DEFINITELY worth picking up. I have two volumes of his "The spiffy adventures of McConey" series, I have Harum Scarum and The Hoodoodad. This is an awesome series and his artwork is fantastic, it really made me want to try drawing in this fun, cartoony style. These books were published by Fantagraphics a couple of years back as well as the Nimrod series of comics (I have a couple of these as well). The Nimrod series collects various works Trondheim has done, so each issue has a couple of stories in them, check these out at:

http://www.fantagraphics.com/artist/tro ... dheim.html

The stories in The Hoodoodad and Harum Scarum are just total good fun with really entertaining characters. And the artwork is just amazing.

-Kev

heinz91

Post by heinz91 » Wed Apr 11, 2007 2:14 pm

I Loved dungeon. It was good. Really good. To bad I don't own some of them

bannister

Post by bannister » Mon Jul 23, 2007 5:22 am

I've read almost everyhting from him, unfortunately most of his work is still untranslated. For me, some of the best are his personnal stories, like "approximate continuum comix" and "carnet de bord" (diary log, or something like that). he wrote hundreds of stories though, so it's hard to know where to begin.

The McConey stories are great also, prepare for a strong and unexpected ending. :wink:

Dunjon is okay, not my cup of tea. Too much books and characters. Quite difficult to rely them.

lewis is not the best drawer, but sure is a good writer. He's working a lot to do live sketches, and it works, his art improved a lot these past years. But he's still better at stories, hehe.