What books do you give to people?

Recommend books, comics, graphic novels, etc.
Mikie

Post by Mikie » Tue Aug 24, 2004 8:11 pm

goRaina wrote:interestingly, i gave my dad a copy of Blankets for his birthday last year, and this is the man who gave ME Barefoot Gen to read when i was a kid, so i thought i'd finally match him with a hard-hitting, great graphic novel ounce for ounce with Blankets.

how wrong i was.

he read one chapter, and was so struck by how horrible the abuse scenes were that he had to stop reading. i think it's been almost a year now and he still hasn't picked it back up. he says he will, but i dunno. of course then i started thinking it might be weird for him, reading lustful musings on a girl named RAINA, so maybe it's a good thing... ;)

so it always depends on the person.

this year he got a copy of Cave-In which went over much better.

i've given Bone, Rose, Barefoot Gen (pay it forward), Same Difference and Other Stories, Jax Epoch and the Quicken Forbidden, FLCL, Calvin and Hobbes, Maus, Sketchbook Diaries, and all sorts of minicomics by Lark Pien as gifts, to much regard.

Hey Raina,

Little off subject, but I met you at APE. I love your book. Any more issues since then, and will you be hitting APE again this year?

goRaina

Post by goRaina » Wed Aug 25, 2004 8:43 am

hi, mikie!

not since APE, no. i've been really busy with Smile, and i'm planning on doing a print version of that at some point. I've got a million other things i'm working on, too, but i'll definitely have new stuff in time for APE. that's still a long way off!

and also, you're from tracy, huh? the windmill town! neat!

Mikie

Post by Mikie » Wed Aug 25, 2004 8:56 am

goRaina wrote:hi, mikie!

not since APE, no. i've been really busy with Smile, and i'm planning on doing a print version of that at some point. I've got a million other things i'm working on, too, but i'll definitely have new stuff in time for APE. that's still a long way off!

and also, you're from tracy, huh? the windmill town! neat!

:lol:

Yeah, actually I grew up in Dublin. Tracy is a fairly recent move for me(about three years). Kinda sucks.

Well, it is good to hear you'll be back for APE next year (even if it isn't till April). And I'm not sure what Smile is (guess I'll have to check out the link) but I'll probably pick it up. So, be sure to let us know when it is finished and ready to go.