What books do you give to people?

Recommend books, comics, graphic novels, etc.
neil

Post by neil » Mon Mar 29, 2004 8:35 am

Kazu wrote:In fact, production on the film started a couple of years after he started the comic, but the comic wrapped up a decade after the film was released. The film actually feels like it was just an introduction to the comic, since Miyazaki elaborated so much on what happens in the latter half.
Woah, that sells me on it for sure. "Nausicä" is a good movie but I felt like the conclusion seemed a little rushed or too simple, and kind of capped off the epic feel of the rest of it. Studio Ghibli should make a really long complete version. :D

Mikie

Post by Mikie » Fri Apr 09, 2004 9:54 pm

Blankets
Powers
Stray Bullets
Liberty Meadows
Preacher
Bloom County (Classics of Western Literature)
Appleseed
Ghost in the Shell
Big Guy and Rusty the Boy Robot

American Gods
Fight Club
Shopgirl
Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay
Polar Express
the Day I Swapped My Dad For Two Goldfish

Art of the Matrix
Norman Rockwel collection (can't remember the title)
RahXephon groundwork
the Art of Patrick Nagel
the World of Michael Parkes

These are the books I remember giving. Their is probably a few more, but I can't think what they were. I know their were a few more anime art books but I just can't remember.

Let's see...my niece loved the childrens books. The comics went over well with friends and oldest nephew (though Preacher was a book my friend already had). The guy at work I gave American Gods to absolutly loved it. I'm probably going to give him Good Omens next. Fight Club went over well. Kavalier and Clay didn't go over as well as I had hoped. My friend still has not touched it.

The art books...well, I only have two friends that really appreciate that stuff and I'm no longer friends with one of them. :(

I try and pick things that I know the person will be interested in. Sometimes I guess wrong, but usually I'm on the money.

VC

Post by VC » Fri Jul 30, 2004 4:52 pm

I'm the local highschool anime&manga rental center here.

As far as manga goes, I've yet to lend Kare Kano (to a girl) and receive a negative remark. The Demon Ororon, PSME, and Tuxedo Gin have been pretty popular among my friends. One thing that puzzles me is how I've lent the Megatokyo books to a lot of my guy friends and they've all loved it, but I have a hard time getting my girl friends to give it more than a cursory glance.

The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint Exupery is always the first book that I recommend to people. The Hitchhiker's Guide Trilogy by Douglas Adams has been circling among my guy friends (what is it with my girl friends, few of them read) and the Georgia Nicolson series by Louise Rennison circles around in my house. I also think that most people should at least give the following books a try: K-PAX series by Gene Brewer, Where the Heart is by Billie Letts, Angela's Ashes by Frank McCourt, The Joy Luck Club by Amy Tan, and Househusband by A.D. Hudler

Nofret

Post by Nofret » Sat Jul 31, 2004 3:22 pm

I'm into the habit of buying single issues of comic books, and when I get the trade, I give out the individual issues to whoever wants 'em.

So the Walking Dead went to a Zombie fan
Bone and Courtney Crumrin were much appreciated. Gloom Cookie too, but mostly the issues drawn by Ted Naifeh.

As for novels, Life Of Pi.

And I have to agree with Kazu: the Nausicaa books are a step ahead of the film. More depth to it, and splendid art from the master. And that ending...ooh, loved it *sniff!*
Last edited by Nofret on Thu Aug 05, 2004 7:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Justin V

Post by Justin V » Mon Aug 02, 2004 8:10 pm

ymA...where'd you fine Mitsuru Adachi's Short Program.

VC

Post by VC » Mon Aug 02, 2004 8:40 pm

Sorry, I'm not yma, but I've found it at the local Hastings. You can also get it off of the official viz website.
oh yeah, plug: http://hereishere.com

Johnny Neat

Post by Johnny Neat » Tue Aug 03, 2004 7:19 am

"Dude Where's My Country?"
Visit the GK Movie Watch Blog at www.Galaxykid.blogspot.com

Azzamckazza

Post by Azzamckazza » Tue Aug 03, 2004 4:26 pm

I've given Shaun Tan's The Red Tree and [/i]The Lost Thing[/i] as gifts.... Both are excellent for people in times of mental need...

Also, anything by Robert Fulghum seems to make a good gift.....his stories are always uplifting and funny
ImageImage

Ryansias

books

Post by Ryansias » Wed Aug 04, 2004 5:19 am

i give everyone "around ireland wiht a fridge" by tony hawks.... and everyone loves it.. best trevel book EVER!!!!!!!!!!

I for some reason don't give out comics..... what is that about? I also end up giving out dvd of bowling for columbine (since i worked on it) and that's about the size of a mondern paper back.. and i put it on my book shelf..!!:)

Ryan 8) :oops: :oops: 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) :o :) :wink: :roll: :twisted: :idea: :arrow: :shock: :D 8)

MissJing

Post by MissJing » Tue Aug 10, 2004 7:01 pm

I'm a total bibliophile, so my library is pretty huge.
I read just about anything but I tend to collect vintage children's books and art portfolios, on top of graphic novels especially 60's and current shoujo manga.

The books I tend to find myself giving as gifts are on the harder to find end of things:

-The Art And Flair Of Mary Blair : An Appreciation by John Canemaker

-The Busy, Busy World of Richard Scarry by Walter Retan

-Alice in Wonderland, illustrated by Iassen Ghiuselev
http://www.asfa-art.org/chesley/2004/in ... selev.html
-Pinocchio, also illustrated by Iassen Ghiuselev

-any and all books by the amazing Jimmy Liao
http://www.jimmyspa.com/

-the manga of Kiriko Nananan ( i love the simplicity of her work)
http://www.lambiek.net/nananan_k.htm
http://kiriko.co.to/

-the kids books of 100% Orange
http://www.100orange.net/works.html

-older printings of Miroslav Sasek's "This is...." travel book series

Debaser

Post by Debaser » Wed Aug 11, 2004 11:00 am

Possibly butting in where I don't belong here, but ...

Watership Down. Don't laugh. If I had enough money I'd give a copy of that book to everyone I know. I never get tired of it no matter how many times I read it. Perfection.

I also loaned out a copy of Love All The People by Bill Hicks a few months ago to a friend. I have still not managed to get it back. Such is the danger of shuffling off good books that you actually want back at some point.

That said, aquaintances will get my copies of Maus{/i] and the Little Nemo collection when they pry them out of my cold, dead fingers. It took me [i]ages to find a copy of the Little Nemo one, I'm afraid I just can't let it out of my sight.

lizlet

Post by lizlet » Wed Aug 11, 2004 11:21 am

In high school I did nothing but give people copies of Good Omens and Microserfs.

Those were good days.

Azzamckazza

Post by Azzamckazza » Wed Aug 11, 2004 4:53 pm

I also loaned out a copy of Love All The People by Bill Hicks a few months ago to a friend.

Are you talking about THE Bill Hicks? Comedian, Philosopher and Prophet?

If so, tell me where I can get that book!
ImageImage

Debaser

Post by Debaser » Wed Aug 11, 2004 5:01 pm

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASI ... 64-2369404

Yes, the shaman himself.

It doesn't appear to be out in the States yet (or ever considering how criminally unknown he is in the USA) but it's pretty easy to order from amazon.co.uk one way or the other. Definitely worth tracking down. The man was a genius, but I don't need to tell you that.

goRaina

Post by goRaina » Tue Aug 24, 2004 2:14 pm

interestingly, i gave my dad a copy of Blankets for his birthday last year, and this is the man who gave ME Barefoot Gen to read when i was a kid, so i thought i'd finally match him with a hard-hitting, great graphic novel ounce for ounce with Blankets.

how wrong i was.

he read one chapter, and was so struck by how horrible the abuse scenes were that he had to stop reading. i think it's been almost a year now and he still hasn't picked it back up. he says he will, but i dunno. of course then i started thinking it might be weird for him, reading lustful musings on a girl named RAINA, so maybe it's a good thing... ;)

so it always depends on the person.

this year he got a copy of Cave-In which went over much better.

i've given Bone, Rose, Barefoot Gen (pay it forward), Same Difference and Other Stories, Jax Epoch and the Quicken Forbidden, FLCL, Calvin and Hobbes, Maus, Sketchbook Diaries, and all sorts of minicomics by Lark Pien as gifts, to much regard.