The Stranger, Camus and Norwegian Wood, Haruki Murakami

Recommend books, comics, graphic novels, etc.
ZidaneTheKing

The Stranger, Camus and Norwegian Wood, Haruki Murakami

Post by ZidaneTheKing » Sat Nov 25, 2006 2:25 am

Amazing books.

jdalton

Post by jdalton » Sat Nov 25, 2006 3:29 pm

I've read a couple of books by Haruki Murakami, but not these ones. I've read Hard Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World, and Kafka on the Shore. They are very, very strange, unlike anything else I've ever read. I'm not sure I would even be able to describe them. But they are definitely worth reading.
Jonathon Dalton
Image Image

ZidaneTheKing

Post by ZidaneTheKing » Mon Nov 27, 2006 2:27 am

Sorry, one of the books is The Stranger and it was written by Albert Camus. The other one, Norwegian Wood, is by Haruki Murakami. So don't look for The Stranger by Haruki Murakami, or Camus by Haruki Murakami, becuase I'm sure they would be good, but they don't exist to my knowledge.

geckochan

Post by geckochan » Mon Nov 27, 2006 2:16 pm

I'm sure they'd be great if they did though! lol I did actually read your title the same way and went "huh, those first two Murakami ones I've never heard of!"
Norwegian Wood is the only one of his I've read so far, mostly because I'd been trying to find a copy of Hard Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World with no luck, so I just got Norwegian Wood out the library instead. I would still like to try some of his other books though, which sound more experimental. To be honest Norwegian Wood never really engaged me.

ZidaneTheKing

Post by ZidaneTheKing » Mon Nov 27, 2006 8:44 pm

That's interesting. I found it very engaging, but then I'm roughly the same age as the main character.

TmDurn7

Post by TmDurn7 » Thu Jan 04, 2007 7:25 pm

Well, i hated the Stranger

Norwegian Wood though, i thought it was a rather beautiful book, which surprised me because before that I'd read Murakami's Wind-Up Bird Chronicles which was more a chore than anything

wingedpegasus

Post by wingedpegasus » Sun Jun 24, 2007 5:47 pm

i love 'l'étranger' it's fecking genius. Camus' narrative is so cold but brilliant. if you like it you should read 'Homo Faber - Max Frisch' similar kinda vibe, first person narrative, strange character, very good though.

what's this Marukami dude like? similar to Camus or are they just two books you like?

ZidaneTheKing

Post by ZidaneTheKing » Tue Jun 26, 2007 9:22 pm

Not similar to camus at all, I just like them both.

LetsMeetUpInParadise240

Post by LetsMeetUpInParadise240 » Thu Jul 12, 2007 7:22 pm

I can't say I enjoyed Camus very much. I was looking forward to the Stranger very much, but after finishing it I found myself disliking it very much. I'm hoping the Plague will be much better.

As for Murakami, I believe I've found a new favorite author. The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle, which runs at about 600 pages, is an amazingly quick read, depending on how into reading you are I suppose though. It has some really interesting characters and has a mix of elements. It is all at once - a detective story, about troubled marriage, an account of World War II, erotica (yep) interweaved with surrealism. If I had to compare him to anyone, I would say Kafka or Vonnegutt.

Of course, I'm only quoting others who've tried to describe him. The Kafka analogy I can understand, but I've yet to read Vonnegutt.
Remember to breathe.....

ARandomGuy

What are these about?

Post by ARandomGuy » Sun Jul 22, 2007 8:34 am

I love reading, but don't have tons of free time to devote to it anymore. Can anyone do a quick abstract for me? Maybe tell me why they're so good?