The Fountainhead-Ayn Rand

Recommend books, comics, graphic novels, etc.
Yuikio

The Fountainhead-Ayn Rand

Post by Yuikio » Mon May 29, 2006 11:46 am

Has anyone else read it? I'm in the middle and loving it. It is very much an artist's book, or at least it should appeal immensely to the kind of people that come here. It's about, in a nutshell, how god damn hard it is to be a real, uncompromising individual, not only in absolute terms, but in the context of our society, and human civilization in general, which, according to Rand, is safe, uncreative, and deathly afraid of truly creative individuals.

If you haven't read it, and struggle with the corporate/non-artist side of creating, you will really, really like it.

TmDurn7

Post by TmDurn7 » Thu Jan 04, 2007 7:33 pm

i love this book and grow closer to just calling myself objectivist day by day.

if you can subscribe to the morality that's put forth in this book, you might enjoy her most unapologetic of books, Atlas Shrugged. It's a really exciting book, almost dystopian, and it's like the Fountainhead on a much grander scope

geoff_sebesta

Post by geoff_sebesta » Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:16 pm

I'm not going to bore you with too many details here, because I fucking hate Ayn Rand and everything she stands for. So you know where I'm coming from. But I've read a lot of her work and it's an extremely informed hatred.

Here are my three biggest objections.

1) She discovered meth as she wrote Atlas Shrugged. Normally I approve of performance-enhancing chemicals in art, and lord knows I love Philip K. Dick, but Atlas Shrugged is blithering insanity. If you ever wondered why it's a thousand pages, one hundred of them monologue, that's why.
2) Her opinions on sex and the environment (for example) range from frightening to outright laughable. I point specifically to the part where she talks about how women like to be chained, and when she wants to build a hydroelectric dam at Woodstock. Now, I know she came from a rough childhood, and she was well before environmentalism as we know it was invented, but even so.
3) Ayn Rand is like Dave Sim in that, once you start agreeing with them in public, you can just watch your friends melt away. Seriously. This is not a philosophical problem, it's a social one. Once you take the point of view that everyone except yourself and a few of your closest friends are misunderstood overmen, all your friends and family and the other people who are unlucky enough to know you during your Rand phase are going to hate you. Again, this is not philosophy -- it's pure observation. You (and by "you" I mean everybody) are not a misunderstood superman. Get over yourself. Alcohol only compounds this problem. There are few things worse than a drunk objectivist.

Oh, her characterization is also ludicrous. And don't get me started on the rape in the Fountainhead. Though I do think her public humiliation of Nathaniel Branden had style.

Objectivism is like Scientology, in that it makes a lot of money by telling people what they want to hear. Take her work with, not just a grain, but an entire BOTTLE of salt.

note: I swear, this is not a flame. It's nothing against you or your work. I hate Ayn Rand, not you, and if she was here I'd tell her so. I point you to "It Usually Begins with Ayn Rand" by Jerome Tuccille if you want to begin your recovery.