Comics Worth Reading?

Recommend books, comics, graphic novels, etc.
patrace

Post by patrace » Wed May 21, 2008 7:50 pm

These are the series I try to keep up on:

Fables - Familiar characters in new contexts, great story and character evolution.

100 Bullets - Mystery, Intrigue, Suspense, and Action. Either this is ridiculously well planned out or it will end in a knot of spaghetti noodles.

Y: the last man - Tightly packed storytelling. People who don't like or read comics are always borrowing this series.

The Walking Dead - Excellent storytelling and high drama. Realism in a familiar world. Also reaches people who don't read a lot of comics which says a lot for the story.

Invincible - Surprisingly awesome. Give it a few books, this looks like cotton candy but fills your stomach like a steak.

Flight - You know you're all badasses.

One Piece - Issue 500 comes out pretty soon. The story is silly at times but the characters are wonderful and I can't help getting clapping my hands or letting out little yelps of excitement when some nested plot element pays off.

Scott Pilgrim - Rating: Awesome.

Maybe forgetting some here. Deus Ex Machina, Transmetropolitan occasionally...

I'll have to check out Rocketo, I've never heard of that one.

I think when I was a kid comics were more about art.. then I took a break for a few years and realized I was a sucker for a good story and strong characters. The art is a part of that of course but not the only ingredient.

I love comics.

Gunwhale

Post by Gunwhale » Sat May 24, 2008 11:10 am

I'd been picking up B.P.R.D. (spin off from Hellboy) for the past year, but lately I've been on a mission to buy up all the back issues out there. I've got most of the mini-series completed, except for two. Overall, it's really good.
Image Image

mestioko

Post by mestioko » Wed Jun 25, 2008 2:30 pm

Though I can't say much for the regularity of the 2 comics below, they are entertaining in their different ways:

DC's All Star Batman and Robin the Boy Wonder
by Frank Miller and Jim Lee
notes: Lee's artwork is a work of ... well ... art! Miller does a great job a writing duties, but one critique: lay off the "GD Batman" phrase, Frank.

Lenore
by Roman Dirge
notes: twisted and just delightful

abeoh

Post by abeoh » Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:59 am

has anyone read three shadows by cyril pedrosa yet? I found this @ barnes n nobles and had to pick it up. story and art = both best iv seen in a long time.

an anyone recomend me any other trades out thats on par with hellboy? iv mostly lost faith in american comics... so far translated imports have been really what iv been reading/buying.

here's a preview: http://www.firstsecondbooks.com/threeSh ... ift01.html
[url=http://]my sketchbook[/url]
Abe-a-Saurus blog

Harry Myland (IV)

Post by Harry Myland (IV) » Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:14 pm

abeoh wrote:has anyone read three shadows by cyril pedrosa yet? I found this @ barnes n nobles and had to pick it up. story and art = both best iv seen in a long time.

an anyone recomend me any other trades out thats on par with hellboy? iv mostly lost faith in american comics... so far translated imports have been really what iv been reading/buying.

here's a preview: http://www.firstsecondbooks.com/threeSh ... ift01.html
As I've mentioned twice before on these forums, everyone should go buy Three Shadows, it is excellent.

I just bought Comic Book Tattoo and Rocketo Vol 1 via Amazon (both of which look awesome, by the way), so we'll see how that goes.

kevin_c

Post by kevin_c » Fri Jul 03, 2009 2:23 am

I finally decided to get the whole Preacher tb, and I couldn't put it down. I was reading till my eyes was dry and I wasn't blinking because I just had to turn the next page.

So yeah, it is better late than never. In this case it took me about 15 years to see the hype.

bluebed

Re: Comics Worth Reading?

Post by bluebed » Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:24 pm

Everything by Jason.
Manu Larcenet recently got translated into English, he is a truly amazing storyteller.

probitycomics

Re: Comics Worth Reading?

Post by probitycomics » Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:34 am

Where i can find good comics books of all time. If you have any knowledge then please share with me. I am now reading Sikh Children story, its really a nice one. It is totally based on Sikh Religion.