Comics Worth Reading?

Recommend books, comics, graphic novels, etc.
millon

100 Bullets

Post by millon » Sun Oct 15, 2006 2:01 am

100 Bullets has me addicted.

I'm a big fan of the noir styled works, and this comic just rocks on so many levels. I think it's wortha read.
A little off center then? Yeah, that's perfect..

demetrius

Post by demetrius » Wed Nov 15, 2006 5:51 pm

i read Pride of Baghdad today.

Story and aesthetics?
Beautiful.

fuadmddin

Post by fuadmddin » Fri Nov 17, 2006 7:15 am

pride of baghdad is beautiful.

Sebastian Agresti

Post by Sebastian Agresti » Thu Feb 22, 2007 4:38 pm

Anything by Daniel Clowes

Nunumi

Post by Nunumi » Mon Feb 26, 2007 7:24 pm

I read this one recently ^^

http://www.bdgest.com/critique_48.html

L'anneau des 7 mondes in French. Awsome graphics. 3 tomes are out yet ^^ Can't wait for the 4th!

Rocky

Post by Rocky » Sun Mar 18, 2007 1:52 pm

Mike Laughead wrote:I don't think that the art in Y: The Last Man is very exciting, but I couldn't put down the books. It seems like something that might be told better in a TV series. Pretty good read though.

I just popped on to this topic to see what everyone was reading, and strangely enough I just started those!! The art is pretty standard, but the story is so wacky. I love 'em and I can't put them down. I'm currently up to #4...just waiting to save some money so I can buy the rest.

bluelily17

Y the Last Man

Post by bluelily17 » Tue Mar 20, 2007 8:54 am

maxdeth wrote:Has anyone else checked out Y: The Last Man?

I am really digging it. Its about some unknown thing (possibly a virus) killing off all the males of all species on earth on the same day, except one guy.

I started reading my brother's copy of it and it's quite fun.

bluelily17

Post by bluelily17 » Tue Mar 20, 2007 8:55 am

Rocky wrote:
Mike Laughead wrote:I don't think that the art in Y: The Last Man is very exciting, but I couldn't put down the books. It seems like something that might be told better in a TV series. Pretty good read though.

I believe it has already been optioned for a film or tv show. I believe I read that somewhere....

bluelily17

Y the Last Man movie

Post by bluelily17 » Tue Mar 20, 2007 9:01 am

Yep, New Line has the rights...

The film rights to the series have been acquired by New Line Cinema, and as of April 2006 Vaughan has been given the chance to write the screenplay. There is no scheduled release date. [3]

Though I don't know why they don't just make it into a series...it'd be one looong movie.

smaragddrache

Post by smaragddrache » Wed Apr 04, 2007 11:40 am

I think right now, I have three favorite series, each from a different genre:

Superheroes: Ex Machina. For all of you that are into Y, Ex Machina is a great read too. It's also written by Vaughan, and it's a cool premise: what if a superhero became the mayor of New York? Art's kind of cool and dynamic, and it's well written.

Family: Castle Waiting. Incredible book. The first 5 years or so of the series are bound into a single volume, and Linda Medley has now started to continue the series again in single issues every 6-8 weeks. Incredibly witty and beautiful art, it's the story of Sleeping Beauty, but it keeps going after the princess leaves the castle. She leaves, and everyone in the castle is like, "now what?"

I don't know what to categorize my favorite book at the moment, but it's awesome: the series "Fables." If you like fairy tales or literature or whatever, this series is beyond cool. The premise: what if all of the fairy tale characters are real? And living in Manhattan because they have been driven from their own worlds? King Cole is the mayor of their community, but Snow White really runs the show. Not to mention, the Big Bad Wolf is sheriff. It's already on its 8th trade, and still goin. Not to mention, the characters only get better.

Haha, sorry for the crazy influx. Yay for working at a comic book store!

Jason Sanity

Post by Jason Sanity » Tue Jul 03, 2007 1:11 pm

I just got my Mouse Guard comics back from my brother and re-read them to gear up for the new mini that starts this month. I recommend picking them up, if you can find them. They recently released a hardcover collection of the first miniseries, if you can afford it.

I'm currently reading Criminal, Usagi Yojimbo and Fear Agent, too. All are good reads.

edcorrea

Post by edcorrea » Wed Nov 14, 2007 9:55 am

I'm waiting for the release of SILVER SURFER: REQUIEM, by Straczynski and Esad Ribic.
Edward Correa

Gunwhale

Post by Gunwhale » Sat Nov 17, 2007 11:32 am

I've been steadily buying up all the Hellboy trades. I'm hooked. Too bad I can't find the first two issues of the current miniseries that's out.
Image Image

kyle-latino

Post by kyle-latino » Sat Nov 17, 2007 7:58 pm

Frank Esinosa's Rocketo. Seriously one of the most inspiring books I've ever read. It's a perfect mix of classic pulp story with a new and exciting art style. It's in the same creative vein as Thundarr the Barbarian, yet it's not in the nostalgia movement. This is something new and alive!

webcomic: dinopartycomics.com
deviantart: kyle-latino.deviantart.com

willmj

Post by willmj » Mon Nov 19, 2007 1:56 pm

Rocketo rocks! I think Frank's work is amazing!