Comics Worth Reading?

Recommend books, comics, graphic novels, etc.
Tony

Comics Worth Reading?

Post by Tony » Mon May 15, 2006 1:37 pm

I was in the comic book store for the first time in a while just the other day. Now, I didn't spend too much time in there, but I thought I looked through a good selection of books. I couldn't find anything appealing. Can anyone recommend something good to read? Something that's actually worth going back to pick up a new issue every month? Or a good TPB?

Kean
Site Admin

Post by Kean » Mon May 15, 2006 3:10 pm

I picked up Japan (as viewed by 17 creators) recently, and have been slowly going through the stories in that book. I've really been enjoying them. It's an interesting cross-section of French and Japanese creators, including stories by Jiro Taniguchi and Joann Sfar (the motivating factor for me to pick up the book in the first place), and discovering new artists like Kan Takahama and Frédéric Boilet.

And because I don't think I have poop and blood in my life, I'm probably going to be picking up Lewis Trondheim's A.L.I.E.E.E.N. after reading this review of it.

Joey

Post by Joey » Mon May 15, 2006 4:11 pm

Speaking of Sfar & First Second, I just finished Vampire Loves, and it was fantastic! Funny, and cute, and a little insane...a perfect mixture! :D
Visit the Tragic Planet!

Tony

Post by Tony » Mon May 15, 2006 4:39 pm

Kean wrote:And because I don't think I have poop and blood in my life, I'm probably going to be picking up Lewis Trondheim's A.L.I.E.E.E.N. after reading this review of it.
AILEEEN looks super-awesome. Though it was funny that the same page had a mention of ROBOT. How's that for convergence.

Scrolling up, there's a little pic of a book called "Supermarket". Based solely on that one image, it looks superhot.

Edit: Supermarket images. So Brian Wood is writing it, but Kristian Donaldson is illustrating. Previously I had assumed, seeing the names, that Brian Wood was the artist and that he was related to Ashley Wood, who also publishes through IDW (right?), since Supermarket's art seems verrrry similar to Wood's. Real shame that they didn't use the graphic colouring style from the cover on the inside. Boo for reality.

maxdeth

Post by maxdeth » Tue May 16, 2006 1:28 pm

Has anyone else checked out Y: The Last Man?

I am really digging it. Its about some unknown thing (possibly a virus) killing off all the males of all species on earth on the same day, except one guy.

Kean
Site Admin

Post by Kean » Tue May 16, 2006 3:58 pm

Tony wrote:AILEEEN looks super-awesome. Though it was funny that the same page had a mention of ROBOT. How's that for convergence.
Actually, Chris was one of 'those people' through which I heard about the Robot v2 thing. :)

You could do a lot worse browsing through his archives for comics recommendations.

Nofret

Post by Nofret » Tue May 16, 2006 3:59 pm

Even though I hate zombie movies, I can't put down "The Walking Dead".

But there's also Jiro Taniguchi's "The Walking Man" well worth picking up.

You could almost mix up those two titles, and still come out of the store with a good read :D

neil

Post by neil » Tue May 16, 2006 4:04 pm

I just bought Vampire Loves, it's terrific. It's embarrassing to admit, but I actually don't buy a lot of comics--but this is the best graphic novel I've come across all year.

I didn't know Sfar was in that Japan book! I want it!

Mike Laughead

Post by Mike Laughead » Thu Jun 15, 2006 8:43 pm

I don't think that the art in Y: The Last Man is very exciting, but I couldn't put down the books. It seems like something that might be told better in a TV series. Pretty good read though.
Mike Laughead

MikeLaughead.com

Josh-Ulrich

Post by Josh-Ulrich » Mon Jun 19, 2006 8:18 pm

I will agree with Y: the last man and The Walking Dead. Pretty much the only two comics I keep up with on a consistant basis.

I would either buy the graphic novels to get caught up, or do what I did. Sit in barnes and noble and read all of them, then start buying the monthly comics. Either way, it's worth it. Two great stories.

Scott Hallett

Post by Scott Hallett » Tue Sep 19, 2006 5:54 pm

I can't recomment Casanova from Image Comics enough. This one completely blindsided me...it's intense and fun!

Charlie the choo choo

Post by Charlie the choo choo » Wed Sep 20, 2006 6:33 pm

"Watchmen" is the only super hero comic that is worth a damn. Its really well writen and very deep.
To view the last of me, a living frame
For one more picture! in a sheet of flame
I saw them and I knew them all. And yet
Dauntless the slug-horn to my lips I set,
And blew. "Childe Roland to the Dark Tower came."

Scott Hallett

Post by Scott Hallett » Wed Sep 20, 2006 7:12 pm

Actually, I'd have to disagree about Watchmen. It is a good book, but it's not the only super hero book worth reading. Ultra, Nextwave, or even Astonishing X-Men stand up pretty good. What about Hellboy? What about Dark Knight Returns?

jdalton

Post by jdalton » Thu Sep 21, 2006 12:41 am

Watchmen is the best superhero story ever told, but there is a vast and varied sliding scale from Watchmen on down to Deathpool with several worthwhile reads along the way. Though personally, I don't have the patience to read floppies any more. It's graphic novels or nothing.
Jonathon Dalton
Image Image

Tudor City

Post by Tudor City » Tue Oct 03, 2006 8:39 pm

The Best American Comics 2006 really helped renew my faith in this industry. I loved the work by Joe Sacco, Lilli Carre, and Anders Nilsen especially.