Life of Pi-- Yann Martel

Recommend books, comics, graphic novels, etc.
dik pose

Life of Pi-- Yann Martel

Post by dik pose » Sun Feb 15, 2004 10:14 pm

I just finished devouring this book. What a great fresh read. (I had seen Scott Morse recommend it on his site, a buddy of mine read it, then 2 more friends read it, my turn finally came, I finished it in 3 days)

The basic story is about an Indian boy, Pi, that is on a lifeboat with a Bengal Tiger. It is a survival story, with a twist, but a raw survival story none-the-less. The other story, that we the reader are supposed to grapple with, is about religion and God(s). Pi is born a Hindu, but eventually starts practicing Christianity and Islam also. Religion is the main topic for 80 pages, then it takes a back seat to the survival story for 200+ pages. But by the end of the novel, we the reader must search our own faith.

I was absolutely drawn into this novel, I am not religious, but I am intrigued by religion and philosophy. I learned so much about zoology, religions, and nautical survival. Yann Martel did his research and flaunted that knowledge in a masterful way.

I know Doug read this book because I have his drawing of Pi and Richard Parker on my desktop. Great piece by the way.

douglas a. bot

Post by douglas a. bot » Sun Feb 15, 2004 11:40 pm

Yeah man...cool. I read it on Scott's reccomendation too...
Fantastic novel.

and here be the pic again just cause i'm shameless...

d.

dik pose

Post by dik pose » Mon Feb 16, 2004 12:17 am

That is the drawing!!!! Man, beautiful piece, after reading the book, that piece you drew just makes me feel all good inside. I keep looking at it and thinking of the book. Thank you Doug for your shamelessness and you extreme talent.

Oh I read an interview with Yann Martel, some great stuff in there about where he got names (especially Richard Parkers name) and how the story came to be. Good extra insight incase anyone reads the book and wants info from the horses mouth.

http://abcnews.go.com/sections/GMA/Book ... QandA.html

shojogirl

Post by shojogirl » Mon Feb 16, 2004 6:44 am

I loved that book, too, but I have yet to reread it for slower perusal. I liked the beginning best and the acidic island.
I wish ...

bluebottle

Post by bluebottle » Wed Feb 18, 2004 6:36 am

agreed with you all, great, great read was in my top 5 books list of last year (probably 1 or 2 as didn't order them) but once i started reading also couldn't put it down and finished in 4 days.
also met a girl on the bus last saturday (valentines day and all)because she was reading it, and it became a conversation starter.
oh the greatness of this book
'something really witty/funny or profound here!'

Tony

Post by Tony » Wed Apr 14, 2004 10:17 pm

I have to second (or fourth... or fifth) this recommendation. You know a book is good when the first page-and-a-half of the preface are engaging. The exploration of religion was enlightening, but what really stuck with me is the way the book ends. I won't, of course, reveal the ending but it definitely makes you think about the nature of stories and story-telling.

Douglas Douglas: I love your literary interpretations. Oddly enough... I had read Monkey/Journey to the West right after having read Life of Pi. Monkey spent some time as my wallpaper and stands out to me among your work... and now this! Hmm. (I might be reaching).

Cheers!
Tony

incognito

Post by incognito » Thu Jul 29, 2004 9:13 pm

I loved this book.

But want to know something sad?

In my english class we were assigned "reading groups", and one group read Life of Pi. In their presentation on it, I pretty much got the message that they thought it was boring and was a bad book. I now doubt the intelligence of Highschool freshman girls.....

And Douglas, you should make that into a wallpaper by extending the water into an ocean or something. :D

Designer Monkey

Post by Designer Monkey » Fri Aug 20, 2004 2:29 am

Just on an additional note of interest - I read in an interview that M. Night Shyamalan is up for making the film adaptation of this after his next movie.
Coolness, huh?
I loved this book too, although it does seem to recieve wildly mixed reviews from people that you'd maybe have thought would like it.
Not everyones cup of Earl Grey apparently. How do you live with the Tiger in your boat?
The Jungle? Yeah, I do kinda miss it...but it's nice to get off the food chain, y'know??

Nick

Post by Nick » Sun Dec 05, 2004 3:45 am

Awesome read. I'd been eyeing up this book in Borders for ages. I'm glad I bought it. Started yesterday and finished today; I couldn't put it down. The book was an interesting analysis of human nature.

The only thing that bugged me and it really is a minor complaint was that when examples were given to illustrate a fact; many examples were given. Now I know this was probably done to illustrate vastness and scope, but sometimes is was done several times over the course of a few pages and it became a little tedious reading a page which was half given over to descriptions such as: there were red ones and blues ones and green ones and purple ones and orange ones and......

Fascinating tale of survival and what we'll do to survive. The character metamorphosis is really engaging and the use of dark humour excellently placed throughout the story. A fresh read.

Roseparchment

Post by Roseparchment » Sun Dec 05, 2004 7:15 am

i loved this book. sooo good.

orangehead

Post by orangehead » Sun Dec 12, 2004 9:47 am

oh my god. i love that picture! awesome work.

i have the book, but god sidetracked with work. its unfortunate when you have to put a good book down. i think i'll finish it this week!