Tove Jansson and the Moomins

Recommend books, comics, graphic novels, etc.
Emma

Tove Jansson and the Moomins

Post by Emma » Tue Sep 20, 2005 2:15 pm

Tove Jansson's books are amazing. I grew up with them, but they're one of the few books I was crazy about as a little kid that I can reread and be just as crazy about now. You know how it is - sometimes the memories you have overshoot the actual material they're based on. That's not the case with these.

Finn Family Moomintroll is the name of the first book (in the US, anyway); Comet in Moominland goes back and introduces some of the characters; Moominsummer Madness and Moominpappa's Memoirs are two more awesome books that fall wherever in the timeline (I say timeline in the vaguest sense). Tales from Moominvalley and Moominvalley In November are short story collections (I think?), and then there's Moominpappa At Sea and Moominland Midwinter are really very melancholy, reflective, and not strictly childrens' fare. I remember being really bored with those two as a kid, but now I like them a lot.

Anyway, I would definitely check these out if you want a quick read. The characters are great - they remind me a lot of Miyazaki's for some reason. Plus Little My is an awesome, vicious little girl.

squirpy

Post by squirpy » Sun Oct 23, 2005 10:21 pm

I love those books!
I keep a sketchblog here

Hiyo_2366

Re: Tove Jansson and the Moomins

Post by Hiyo_2366 » Wed Feb 15, 2006 9:26 pm

Emma wrote:Tove Jansson's books are amazing. I grew up with them, but they're one of the few books I was crazy about as a little kid that I can reread and be just as crazy about now. ...
Great books!! Though the later ones like Moominvalley in November and Moominpapa at Sea become rather dark and brooding and -- if you will -- Scandanavian. I think there was a Moomin anime made, but Tove Jansson hated it and it didn't get much distribution.

Kazu
Site Admin

Post by Kazu » Fri Feb 17, 2006 10:33 pm

I will definitely have to check these out. :D

Joey

Post by Joey » Fri Feb 17, 2006 11:18 pm

Wow this is so weird that this popped up on the forums! Only a week or so ago, some friends of mine lent me Finn Family Moomintroll, because, as they could obviously tell, it's RIGHT up my alley! Totally cute and charming. And the illustrations are top notch. :D
Visit the Tragic Planet!

dave roman

Post by dave roman » Mon Mar 06, 2006 2:27 pm

We might be running a page of Moomin comic strip in Nick Mag!

jshamblin

Post by jshamblin » Thu Mar 09, 2006 7:06 pm

Thought I'd add a link http://www.moomintrove.com/

Good stuff!

JP

Post by JP » Tue Oct 24, 2006 6:57 am

Hey cool! Another Moomin friend! :D Yeah, Kazu, you should look into these. Some illustrations of yours, like "the twig beast" etc, remind me of Tove's artwork. :)

wendy w

Post by wendy w » Tue Oct 24, 2006 3:02 pm

I've got Moominpapa at sea somewhere but I can't remember reading it.
I will have to dig it out.
(\__/)
(O.o )
(> < ) Bunny says you need to read

Muffin

Post by Muffin » Wed Nov 29, 2006 5:55 am

I never read those books, but I grew up watching the cartoon. My favorite is the one with the magic hat! :D And Hufsa is an awesome character, along with Little My. I did not like the Moomies too much, cause they're so big and slow. :P But the guy called "Snusmumrikken" in norwegian (the one that walks around playing the harmonica) is really cool.

I'm actually living in the land of the Moomin now (finland), and they have souveniers of them everywhere! (:

Joey

Post by Joey » Wed Dec 06, 2006 8:34 pm

Drawn & Quarterly recently release the first volume of their translated reprints of the Moomin comic strips. They are very, very, very good. Buy it for yourself, and then buy it as presents for others. Especially if you or others are fans of the novels :P
Visit the Tragic Planet!