War of the Worlds--H.G. Wells

Recommend books, comics, graphic novels, etc.
dan

War of the Worlds--H.G. Wells

Post by dan » Sun Jul 24, 2005 5:46 am

Man and I thought the Martians in the movie were mean. They're nothing compared to the pure "bastardness" of the Martians in the book. When Wells said "cool intellects" he wasn't kidding. :D

All in all, this was a really qucik and really good read.

dan

Hiyo_2366

Re: War of the Worlds--H.G. Wells

Post by Hiyo_2366 » Wed Feb 15, 2006 9:39 pm

dan wrote:Man and I thought the Martians in the movie were mean. They're nothing compared to the pure "bastardness" of the Martians in the book. When Wells said "cool intellects" he wasn't kidding. :D

All in all, this was a really qucik and really good read.

dan
Hey, I make a point of telling everyone that I think the War of the Worlds the greatest hard science fiction novel ever written, and maybe the greatest that ever will be written. H.G. Wells invented the "tentacled alien monster" cliche that writers and artists have been working for a hundred years. Fifteen years before WWI, Wells predicted all the features of 20th century warfare: the open gassing of cities, the involvement of a country's whole transportation infrastructure, breakdown of the imperial regimes of Europe. At the same time he satirizes jingoistic European colonialism, by putting the greatest earthly power on the receiving end of overwhelming conquest. And he does so in a book that captures, to an almost eerie degree, the fog of war and the rambling structure of an ordinary person's narrative. It's an incredible book. I could go on. No movie has ever done justice to it: only Orson Welles' 1939 radio show captured that degree of terror and strangeness.

Kazu
Site Admin

Post by Kazu » Mon May 29, 2006 11:59 am

Ah, this is near the top of my list of books to read. I just read The Time Machine and I was floored by how well it holds up. It's brilliant.

Nofret

Post by Nofret » Mon May 29, 2006 12:49 pm

How I wish I had been alive back then, to hold his books as they were being published and think "wow, this is so different!"

WOTW...definitely one of the best (if not the best) sci-fi story out there. Still one of my fave. First time I read it was a comic book version, maybe one of these "classic tales" editions. Then there was the old movie (1953), which brought me to finally read the book.
There was a more comic book version done by D'israeli at Dark Horse. Very good and Dark. You can see the pages here (I got the book too):

http://www.darkhorse.com/zones/wotw/index.php

The second serie of League of Extraordinary Gentlemen starts with War of the worlds, and I loved it...then, well...he got far away from the original story so...liked it less.

I'll end my obsession with WOTW with the musical by Jeff Wayne, complete with alien "Ooooola"s