Otherland, by Tad Williams

Recommend books, comics, graphic novels, etc.
Reagan

Otherland, by Tad Williams

Post by Reagan » Sun May 29, 2005 10:35 pm

So, I'm currently reading Mountain of Black Glass, the third book in the Otherland series.

I have absolutely no words I can possibly come up with to even remotely begin to describe how incredibly epic and impossibly vast this book is. If the stars in the universe shifted their position to spell out "HOLY SHIT" across the night sky, it would only begin to explain how cosmically spectacular Otherland is.

I hadn't read any novels since I started drawing. The only reason I happened to be inclined to pick this up was because I ran into Tad at a small convention and talked with him for a bit (I brought up that I was introduced to his name by Matt Rhodes, who did some art for him back in the olden days, which made for a great way to start a conversation), and he was such an amazingly nice and cool guy that I promised I'd read his stuff. Holy crap, I never expected to be this amazed or think that anything this great could be written by mere mortals.

Incase you all haven't figured it out yet, go read this book right now.

bluebottle

Post by bluebottle » Sun May 29, 2005 11:04 pm

read this a while back. like you say. it is 'epic'
just so much information, story, character into everything in the book.

if you have plenty of spare time pick them up :wink:
'something really witty/funny or profound here!'

Rocky

Post by Rocky » Mon May 30, 2005 12:34 pm

otherland is amazing...if you haven't read it....then get on that!

agent44

Post by agent44 » Mon May 30, 2005 8:07 pm

What is it, sci-fi, fantasy...romance?

Reagan

Post by Reagan » Tue May 31, 2005 3:33 am

agent44 wrote:What is it, sci-fi, fantasy...romance?
A good question! Technically it could be called sci-fi, since it's set in the near future (later this century) where the internet has become way, way WAYY more interactive, more like a virtual reality setup. So in a sense it's kind of cyberpunk, but to call it that would be hardly scratching the surface of things. 'Cyberpunk' would be like an outer wrapping or paper covering Otherland, but once you get past that it becomes something far deeper and epic that I can't even begin to describe. It's like if you mixed TRON, The Wizard of Oz, and The Adventures of Baron Munchausen, then threw in something so unspeakably infinite and deep into the mix. I can't explain too much without spoiling, but at its barest foundations, it's a good wholesome epic "quest" kind of story of several everyday average people up against an impossibly evil, vast conspiracy. Even there I feel like I'm hardly doing it any justice.

All I can think of to describe it as is dreams. From your most amazing, inspiring and adventerous ice-cream-induced dreams, to your most impossibly horrifying and blackest fever nightmares.