Best American Nonrequired Reading, 2004--comix inside!

Recommend books, comics, graphic novels, etc.
Ayo

Best American Nonrequired Reading, 2004--comix inside!

Post by Ayo » Sun May 15, 2005 8:38 pm

I just picked this literary anthology up because it is about the only place where you can get a copy of cartoonist Sammy Harkham's amazing comic story "Poor Sailor" (originally published in the Harkham-edited Kramer's Ergot Four).

I've seen bits and pieces of "Poor Sailor" around, but I just finally got to read the whole thing today. It's beautiful. I almost cried.

Actually, a lot of things almost made me cry today. I'm a softee.

Anywho, it's fourteen bucks, which is too much to pay for just one comic strip (there's another selection--from SPX, but I already had that book), but it's nigh-impossible to find anything from alt-comix-hotshot Harkham that's still in print. I'm crossing my fingers in hopes that all the short stories in this anthology are awesome as well!

Again, the price is steep as hell if you're only going into this for the one (or two) comics, but if you're into The New Yorker, Atlantic Monthly, Zoetrope and a whole bunch of other fancy news-and-literary institutions, this book just may float your boat (sailor-related-pun, not intended).
I can't fly.

Joey

Post by Joey » Sun May 15, 2005 9:15 pm

Yeah, Poor Sailor's incredibly good. I'm totally excited about Harkham's Drawn and Quarterly Showcase!
Visit the Tragic Planet!

Ayo

Post by Ayo » Mon May 16, 2005 7:45 pm

Joey wrote: I'm totally excited about Harkham's Drawn and Quarterly Showcase!
Are you serious?!

*dies*
I can't fly.

Joey

Post by Joey » Mon May 16, 2005 10:19 pm

Ayo wrote:
Joey wrote: I'm totally excited about Harkham's Drawn and Quarterly Showcase!
Are you serious?!

*dies*
Hell yes I am.

"My latest strip, Somersaulting, will be published in this book due in June from Drawn and Quarterly. The book will consist of work from Genevieve Castree and Matt Broersma and myself."

Have you checked out his website? http://www.markburrier.com/avodah/

Yeah, Harkham rocks.
Visit the Tragic Planet!