American Elf: The Sketchbook Diaries

Recommend books, comics, graphic novels, etc.
B Moore

American Elf: The Sketchbook Diaries

Post by B Moore » Wed Apr 06, 2005 3:55 pm

My wife and I have been quoting to each other from this book for a few weeks now (Top Shelf has it on sale at their website, so I finally picked it up.) The rhythm of those little four-panel comics is really addictive - it was tough not to just plow through the whole book.

Plus there's something about the way he draws his cat ... something like trying to draw Charlie Brown. He gets a lot of mileage out of a very pared-down design. Check out Spandy's expressions on the placeholder image currently on the American Elf webpage to see what I mean.
Brian
ImageImage

Joey

Post by Joey » Fri Apr 08, 2005 11:34 am

Yeah, I got this book durring the big Top Shelf sale as well. It's really excellent. The hardcover has a much better cover, in my opinion, but I had to go with the softcover due to my bank account being very angry at me.

The book is awesome, the extra material is really cool, and the first five years of the strip are really what I consider to be the more "pure" years of Kochalka's sketchbook diaries. I still read his journal online, and I still really like it. But I think you can definitely see the effect that being able to have immediate response from fans has had on the journal. It really feels more like he's talking to readers through the comic now, rather than simply recording lifes little moments, purely for the concept that it was originally intended. Don't get me wrong! I still love the current work he's doing, but I really like having those early years in a nice bundle :D

Anybody looking forward to Super F*ckers? I know I am.
Visit the Tragic Planet!