Summerland by Michael Chabon

Recommend books, comics, graphic novels, etc.
marco

Summerland by Michael Chabon

Post by marco » Wed Mar 09, 2005 11:43 am

Wow! Just finished reading this and the tears are still in my eyes. I am sucker for basseball stories as well as father and son tales, and this one has it all. But it is so much more, it basically ties all of the folk tales/legends/ myths etc from around the world into a great story about heroics, friends and baseball!!! so good.

dik pose

Post by dik pose » Fri Mar 11, 2005 10:50 pm

Did you post this JUST so you could tell me?? You coulda just called me ya know! I will have to go get it and read it now...

Kazu
Site Admin

Post by Kazu » Fri Mar 11, 2005 11:59 pm

Man, Marco's gonna love your story, Richard. :D

marco

Post by marco » Sun Mar 13, 2005 3:23 am

Kazu wrote:Man, Marco's gonna love your story, Richard. :D
i've seen some of the art on it, and if its any indication of the quality that flight 2 is going to have, then people are going to be blown away :D

questionstar

Post by questionstar » Sat Apr 23, 2005 10:31 pm

I really loved this one because actually all of the mythology focused mostly on Native American/Tall Tale-type things... The villain was Coyote, there were Sasquatch, the giants were Paul Bunyan-inspired Big People, etc. So it struck me as a very "American" fantasy novel, whereas elves and dragons tend to get old fast for me.

Otherwise I felt it was a pretty typical fantasy novel... the writing style didn't do it for me... it was kind of dry. But the set-up made all the difference for me, so I would still reccomend it as a fantasy novel to people who don't really like fantasy (like me).