Fantasy novel recommendations???

Recommend books, comics, graphic novels, etc.
matthewart

Post by matthewart » Tue May 20, 2008 10:27 pm

lots of my favorites have already been mentioned... and I have some new ones to try...

my number one recomend is: George R.R. Marten's Song of Fire
Here's a writer with a couple of decades of experience, at the top of his game. A master of the form. Its the good stuff. Just read the prologue of the first book and see if you arn't intrigued. (its been mentioned before but bare a second nomination)

also:

Neverwhere - Niel Gaiman (good quick read)
Talisman - Steven King and Peter Straub
A Wizard of Earthsea - (already mentioned... but one of my favs)
[email protected]

"We are the music makers, We are the dreamers of dreams" ~ Arthur O'Shaughnessy

Ganter

Post by Ganter » Wed May 21, 2008 6:00 pm

Despite loving to write fantasy, I'm not a huge fantasy fan myself. But I have my favorites, namely Howl's Moving Castle by Diana Wynne Jones, His Dark Material trilogy by Philip Pullman and A Wrinkle In time by Madeleine L'Engle.

dark77778

Post by dark77778 » Wed May 21, 2008 6:21 pm

Ganter wrote: Howl's Moving Castle by Diana Wynne Jones.
Same author as the Chrestomanci series. I've been meaning to pick up Howl's but I want, nay need to watch the movie first, and also finish Witch Week.
I'm my own breed of eccentric.

Ganter

Post by Ganter » Wed May 21, 2008 6:45 pm

Never read it? Oooh boy, you're in for a real treat!!! First couple chapters are a little slow, but man... okay I won't say anymore. But it's definitely become one of my favorite books of all time.

I saw the movie before the book, too. It won't ruin anything for you. They're two totally different stories, but in my opinion... I love the book more. :) The visuals of the film helped in the reading, though.

dark77778

Post by dark77778 » Wed May 21, 2008 6:52 pm

Ganter wrote:Never read it? Oooh boy, you're in for a real treat!!! First couple chapters are a little slow, but man... okay I won't say anymore.
All of Diana Wynne Jones's books seem to start off slowly, especially Charmed Life. It's great fun, but not until the very end when everything just falls into place and you go "WOAH!".

Well I'll go and grab Howl's from the library tomorrow then [ish broke until the weekend]. Might grab some more Sherlock as well, I can read Doyle for hours on end without realizing it.

matthewart

Post by matthewart » Wed May 21, 2008 10:22 pm

Niel Gaiman mentioned Dianna Wynne Jones in his journal posts and that how I found out about her work. Then the Howls Moving Castle came out of course... buuut! didja know there is a sequel to Howls???

House of Many Ways by Diana Wynne Jones

http://www.amazon.com/House-Many-Diana- ... T9SJCT81ZU

Just found out about this... I definatly want to give it a read. I'm curious.
[email protected]

"We are the music makers, We are the dreamers of dreams" ~ Arthur O'Shaughnessy

Ganter

Post by Ganter » Thu May 22, 2008 12:21 am

matthewart - There's also Castle In The Sky, which is supposed to be a sequel. I haven't finished it yet, but so far I like Howl's way better. Then again, I'm biased. :D I'm also getting through her book "Deep Secret", which is one of my friend's favorite Diana Wynn Jones novels.

dark77778 - I haven't read Chrestomanci, but it sounds like I should! I have volume 1, and started the first chapters but got derailed by Kite Runner, I think. I'll have to go back to it, because I enjoyed what I read. And by the sounds of it, it IS a lot like Howl's in that you go along for this long adventure and then BAM!! The ending brings it all together magically. She is an amazing story weaver!

dark77778

Post by dark77778 » Thu May 22, 2008 9:09 am

"Charmed Life" is the first one in the series in terms of publication order, but the and that's the first one I read, which was good but I wanted to know more of what happened so I read 'The Lives of' and it made everything that was sort of vague into a great saga. Though, you've gotta wonder what it took for his wife to let herself go like that :lol: [you'll understand what I mean after you read them]. The only one of those books which I've had a hard time getting into was Magicians of Caprona, simply because it's just Romeo and Juliette with magic and Chrestomanci. It's cute, but not particularily captivati-....oh see now you've got me going, gonna have to pick up Mixed Magics now too >_<

squirpy

Post by squirpy » Thu May 22, 2008 10:53 am

I love Diana Wynn Jones books, but I usually feel like they get really rushed at the end. She spends plenty of time weaving the whole story and then it feels like she's reached a page limit or something because they tend to turn into "and then this happens, and then this happens, and then this happens, and the end!" But nonetheless, I love her books - they are so imaginative.

Also, I really enjoyed "Airborn" and "Skybreaker" even though they are very obviously targeted at younger audiences (more so than Diana Wynn Jones or JK Rowling, who both have more complexity in their books). I think I liked the Airborn books because they took place on airships and I've always had a hankering for a book that talked about life on airships... Plus, they're just good, old fashioned action fun.
I keep a sketchblog here

Jeanette

Re: Fantasy novel recommendations???

Post by Jeanette » Tue Jul 28, 2009 3:18 pm

I've read Howl's Moving Castle and was disappointed with the book. Besides the fact it has almost no similarities too the movie (which I adore). It has a lot of randomness about it and not much is really explained as one would expect from a book.

Ursula K. Leguin's Earthsea series is definitely worth reading. It's a lot different than most fantasy stories. The world seems more believable like it is the real world and not a fantasy setting. Le Guin takes great care in developing the characters and their particular journeys. The books also all have a slower pace too though they are not boring.

There is also a made for tv movie that was awful to say the least. However there is an anime version based loosely off of the series. It hasn't hit the US shores yet though it has been dubs in England already and available on dvd. Look for the region free edition.