Fantasy novel recommendations???

Recommend books, comics, graphic novels, etc.
pogi

Fantasy novel recommendations???

Post by pogi » Thu Feb 17, 2005 5:44 am

Hi all,

I'm looking for stuff in the same vein as stuff like,chronicles of narnia,or journey to the center of the earth(not sure if thats fantasy,but there it is). Can any of you recommend some fantasy stuff for me? I don't know anything about this stuff,but I saw a tv show way back about the chronicles of narnia,and I loved the characters...

thanks in advance...
R'john

agremar

Post by agremar » Thu Feb 17, 2005 12:08 pm

Well, there's quite a lot, but if you're looking for Narnia-esque materials, say young adult type fantasy, then the His Dark Materials, Harry Potter, and Redwall stories should be good. Also, try John Barnes' One For the Morning Glory.

Otherwise, for more mainstream adult fare, start out with things by:
Roger Zelazny - Lord of Light/Any short story collection
Robert Jordan - Eye of the World Series
Raymond E. Fiest - the Riftwar Saga (I don't care for his later things, but the first were great)

For more complicated, literary sci-fi/fantasy:
Gene Wolfe - anthing, but especially his New Sun tetralogy
Samuel R. Delany - Babel-17/Empire Star/Nova

Monk

Post by Monk » Thu Feb 17, 2005 1:36 pm

Also the old-school Sword of Shannara series by Terry Brooks. Suitable for the young folk.

agremar

Post by agremar » Thu Feb 17, 2005 5:08 pm

Monk wrote:Also the old-school Sword of Shannara series by Terry Brooks. Suitable for the young folk.

Yeah, I forgot how much I liked the first Shannara series when I was younger, that's definitely a must read.

dan

Post by dan » Fri Feb 18, 2005 5:31 am

Oh boy, one of the best books i have ever read was a book called Blade of Tyshalle. I HIGHLY recommend reading this.

dan

pogi

Post by pogi » Fri Feb 18, 2005 4:31 pm

thank you so much guys,I really appreciate the recommendations...
I'll try reading all of those,and I'll let you know how I felt about them...but that might be after a year or so :lol: ,I'm a terribly slow reader...

Thanks,
R'john
check my blog
http://rjohnb.blogspot.com/
updated weekly 8)

dave roman

Post by dave roman » Fri Feb 18, 2005 11:55 pm

His Dark Materials creates a really amazing and captivating world.
Some people take issue with the 3rd book, but I say it's worth the read.

I'm exposing myself as total dork---but I used to love the TSR Dragonlance books by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman. I know they're considered LOTR-light rip-offs but I kind of enjoyed reading them more than Tolkein (blasphemy I know). The original CHRONICLES 3-book series is the best.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/de ... ce&s=books

Siftland

Post by Siftland » Sat Feb 19, 2005 12:46 am

I hate Tolkienesque epic fantasy, but I still consider myself a big fan of fantasy. So I'll recommend some of my favorites.

Perdido Street Station by China Mieville - dirty steampunk ultra-imaginative fantasy

The House in the High Woods by Jeffrey Barlough - witty victorian fantasy with Lovecraft elements

The City of Saints and Madmen by Jeff Vandermeer - what's been coined as "fantasy non-fiction," really strange great stuff

Wanderers and Islanders by Steve Cockayne - tough to find, experimental fantasy

The Physiognomy by Jeffrey Ford - Hard to classify, just a great book

PuzzleShift

Post by PuzzleShift » Wed Feb 23, 2005 12:02 pm

The Space trilogy by Lewis may not strictly be fantasy, but if you like Narnia and other works of his, it is certainly worth a read.
Anything else I would recommend has already been mentioned - Jacques, Brooks, Rowling...

-PS

agremar

Post by agremar » Tue Mar 15, 2005 5:26 pm

Been taking a mind break lately from all my other work and reading some more fantasy. Finally got around to starting George R.R. Marten's Song of Fire, and I'm kicking myself for not picking it up earlier. I highly recommend it.

Tylersaurous

Post by Tylersaurous » Thu Apr 21, 2005 1:55 pm

Well if you are looking for some good fantasy that is in the young adult genre I would reccomend these books that have not been mentioned:

Watership Down by Richard Adams :Brian Jaques was heavily influenced by this guy I am guessing.

The Seventh Son by Orson Scott Card : There is a whole series of these books usually referred to as the Alvin Maker series. I really enjoyed these books as a kid, They are an American west fantasy novel, so there arent any swords or dragons. Orson Scott Card also writes a lot of good young adult Sci-Fi like Enders Game

Long Dark Teatime of the Soul by Douglas Adams : It's DOUGLAS ADAMS! instant gold. Imagine the cast of Montey Python writing a novel about Norse gods in modern time.

and for a little more of a reading challenge I reccomend

The Once and Future King by T.H. White A wonderful collection of stories about Camelot and King Arthur. The first story is very very comedic.

Titus Groan by Mervyn Peak : This is the first book of the Gormenghast Trilogy It has some very very dark humor in it.

Oh yeah and for young adult fantasty do not neglect to read some of the finest fantasy stories ever: The Wizard of Oz, Alice in Wonderland and Peter Pan.
i knows it's spelled wrong! i'm just alphabetically apathetic

http://www.tylersaurous.com

Lee M

Nix on fantasy?

Post by Lee M » Thu Apr 21, 2005 3:44 pm

Sabriel Trilogy by Garth Nix: Sabriel, Lirael and Abhorsen.

How can someone from sunny Australia write anything this cool? Strewth!
Have you ever noticed how most of the trouble in the world is caused by people who claim to be trying to get rid of troublemakers?

Rocky

Post by Rocky » Sun Apr 24, 2005 8:28 am

Otherland by Tad Williams....its pretty sweet

JP

Post by JP » Fri Jun 10, 2005 10:05 am

I'd recommend the Tales of the Otori trilogy by Liarn Hearn. I liked the way the story was told through different people and points of view. It's not exactly hard core fantasy but has quite many elements anyway.

Yacin

Post by Yacin » Sat Jul 30, 2005 6:13 am

from Dan Simmons: Hyperion
It's a great mixte of Fantasy, horror and sci_fi.
Unwearied eye of the whole universe