The Art of Discworld!

Recommend books, comics, graphic novels, etc.
Captain Uglyhead

The Art of Discworld!

Post by Captain Uglyhead » Thu Jan 27, 2005 4:27 am

I'd just returned to university from christmas at home, and I had a hundred-dollar bill in my pocket, whispering in my brain, acheing to be spent. Now, luckily, The Art of Discworld wasn't one hundred dollars, more like thirty, but it was more than enough to cease that wretched bill's prattling.

I have to admit, before now, I knew next-to-nothing about Discworld, beyond a few basic facts. I'd only ever read Monstrous Regiment and Equal Rites, but that was enough to introduce me to a couple of important characters (Weatherwax in Rites, Sam Vimes in Regiment). I wanted to know more, and this book provided me with a wealth of divers knowledge, and a ton of great art to marvel at as well.

Paul Kidby's art is delightful. I especially appreciated the skill it took to render Death(You've probably seen him about, thin fellow with a very large farming implement.) so vividly, yet also make him seem sympathetic, even...pleasant.

Another thing that struck me was just how well his rendering of Weatherwax matched the picture I had of her in my mind. Well, perhaps he made her a bit taller and a little thinner, but that's pretty much it. The same couldn't be said for our man Sam, though. He was not exactly prominently featured in Monstrous Regiment, so I'd not bothered constructing much of an image of him in my brain. Paul Kidby makes him look a bit like Clint Eastwood.

All throughout the pages of art, blurbs of information about the disc are sprinkled, allowing me to fill in the incomplete picture I had of it.

Informative words and pretty pictures, what more can you ask for? (Besides a better price, but you must know, I'm a pretty stingy goober normally. $30 for this book was a big old splurge for me...)
It follows the continuity of the third Ziganokum movie. It stars Shrub Mikanore as Ziganokum and Bizzorum. With Johothin Griggor as Nebulox.

dan

Post by dan » Thu Jan 27, 2005 6:23 am

I just bought this book for my gf not too long ago. It was sort of like a husband buying a bowling ball for a wife that didn't bowl....except in this case the wife liked the discworld art work! If that makes any sense. :)

Yeah, the pencil work in here absolutely floors me...

dan

Azzamckazza

Post by Azzamckazza » Thu Jan 27, 2005 10:29 pm

I got 'The Pratchett Portfolio' about 9 years ago and it blew the top of my head straight off. Kidby's style is the perfect blend of realism and caricature. I haven't got the art of discworld yet, but as soon as I have the cash I will and will be copying the pictures like theres no tomorrow.

The Last Hero is a fully kidby illustrated Pratchett book as well. Perhaps you gan get your gf that one as well dan

And his dragons!! his dragons! :D
ImageImage

Captain Uglyhead

Post by Captain Uglyhead » Thu Jan 27, 2005 11:26 pm

Azzamckazza wrote: And his dragons!! his dragons! :D
Indeed! There are a fair number of cute little ones in "The Art of Discworld" as well. Errol's there, but there's also an adorable chubby one.

Speaking of "The Last Hero", there's also some illustrations of Cohen the Barbarian. Most badass old man I've ever laid eyes on.
It follows the continuity of the third Ziganokum movie. It stars Shrub Mikanore as Ziganokum and Bizzorum. With Johothin Griggor as Nebulox.

Roseparchment

Post by Roseparchment » Sat Jan 29, 2005 12:24 pm

i love cohen the barbarian! read Interesting Times, he's in there.

Nick

Post by Nick » Sun Jan 30, 2005 2:49 am

dan wrote:I just bought this book for my gf not too long ago. It was sort of like a husband buying a bowling ball for a wife that didn't bowl....except in this case the wife liked the discworld art work! If that makes any sense. :)

Yeah, the pencil work in here absolutely floors me...

dan
I know exactly what you mean dan. Except I bought it for my younger 'computer wiz' brother and he liked it...DAMN! Now I guess i'll have to buy myself one :wink:

questionstar

Post by questionstar » Sat Apr 23, 2005 10:21 pm

I've only read about 13 discworld novels... I say ONLY because I have a few friends who have read them all and there's over 30 now or something! It's going to take me forever to catch up to them since they started many years before I did, hahahaa!

Anyway.

I got this artbook recently too, and it is just absolutely gorgeous/wonderful/perfect/inspiring. Once in a while I've had the temptation to bust out with my own discworld art, but I must say looking through this book killed that desire instantly. But I mean that in a GOOD way. :D Kidby's art, for me at least, was perfect on so many levels, shockingly even. Terry Pratchett isn't big on visual descriptions when it comes to characters so it's not only impressive when you can pick out who each character is without guessing, but for me at least it was like Kidby had also pulled them directly out of MY head as well. Only better.

This art inspires me to work on drawing distinctive characters... when Terry Pratchett fully fleshes out his people, Kidby really does them justice by drawing them so they look like real people too. SO much personality!

Hehehe... Cap't Uglyhead my favorite discworld books are the ones with the City Watch in em, and Vimes is pretty much my favorite character. I always saw him as a sort of chickeny Clint Eastwood myself! Monstrous Regiment doesn't do him justice, nor do most of the later novels with him in them, because he doesn't get the opportunity to be a raging alcoholic. ;) I can't express enough love for Vimes, though, he is just too wonderful for words. Ha!

Read more Discworld, people!! You won't regret it. There's just so much in those books and Kidby does an amazing comprehensive job with his art, but in the end he is still only lightly touching upon the characters.