Same Difference and Other Stories

Recommend books, comics, graphic novels, etc.
Kazu
Site Admin

Same Difference and Other Stories

Post by Kazu » Sat Jan 10, 2004 2:01 am

I know Derek is on this project and all, but I was just going over his book again the other day and it's just incredible how good it is, or rather, how much I love Same Difference. It's one of the greatest comics stories ever told, and I can say that with no exaggeration. So despite looking like an idiot for constantly giving Derek props like a fanboy (and the fact that I wouldn't want him to have too big a head), I have to put this up for high recommendation just in case some people here are not familiar the book. You can even read it online at http://www.smallstoriesonline.com
Last edited by Kazu on Sun Jan 11, 2004 1:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kean
Site Admin

Post by Kean » Sat Jan 10, 2004 2:26 am

You know, I keep forgetting to look for his book whenever I'm in a comic store (which is pretty damn rare these days). I should probably tattoo 'Same Difference' or 'Derek Kirk Kim' on my arm or something.

(I know I could order it online... Hmmm. Now there's an idea. But then again, I wouldn't have a snazzy tattoo on my arm...)

Phil McAndrew

Post by Phil McAndrew » Sun Jan 11, 2004 1:50 am

i would also like to express my love for same difference. i read it for the first time online and was instantly hooked. ive been checking derek's site almost daily since first being turned onto it (thanks to 'ol kean here posting a link on his site!)

bannister

Post by bannister » Sat Oct 30, 2004 6:42 am

My girlfriend Flora bought this book in french language some days ago.
I only read it yesterday night and it was awesome. Long time I Hadn't read a good story like this one.
Very smart, elegant, soft, (all that i can't do in comics :P ) so i loved it.
I will recommend it to everyone that love good comics and stories in general.

Derekkk sure deserve his Eisner. He's a good writer and an excellent artist, he will go very far and few of us will be able to follow.

The only comment I'd make is about the inking, a little bit cold, but it's no big deal compared to the rest.

Congratulation Derekkk, and I'm looking forward the next book and stories from you ! :D

HERE is the site of the french publisher.

And, err... Thank you Flo for buying good books. (she's the one who makes me discovered Flight and Same Difference, you know now why I love her so much)

Mr Blue Sky

Post by Mr Blue Sky » Sat Oct 30, 2004 10:05 am

Is it originally french or english?
"Allez hop! Un peu d'sincérité!
Le Monde est à pleurer!"

-J.L.

bannister

Post by bannister » Sat Oct 30, 2004 10:26 am

It's an english comic, Mr Leloup. :wink:

pogi

Post by pogi » Sun Oct 31, 2004 1:34 am

Oh my gosh,Derek Kirk Kim is one of my new favorites. I just found his site about a week ago,and I love his stuff. I really liked his short story's about korea and his awesome artwork. I still haven't bought his book "same difference",but I will when I have the cash. If you haven't checked out his site,you owe it to yourself to check it out. His site is...
www.lowbright.com
and he was recently featured on www.fanboyradio.com...I think his episode is 191...

Check it out y'all,
you won't regret it...

R'john

JonS

Post by JonS » Thu Dec 30, 2004 8:22 pm

Derek's stuff is just awesome. I've heard his name so many times before actually reading STORIES and it's some great stuff. And I relate to alot of it more than I'd like to admit, heh.

Love his style too.

Ayo

Post by Ayo » Fri Dec 31, 2004 11:14 am

My favorite story was the one in the future with the alien newscaster. Comedy gold!
I can't fly.

Dek

Post by Dek » Sat Jan 01, 2005 11:52 am

Heh - I actually just got this for Christmas. S'amazing, always has been. Especially the end of Same Difference - with the sky. *whew* Beee-yoooutiful

dave roman

Post by dave roman » Wed Jan 12, 2005 9:44 am

I was always a fan of Derek's artwork whenever I saw it around but was really blown away when I finally read the book (two years ago?).
It came at a time where I was kind of tired of books where people just sit around and talk. And yet Derek found away to keep things moving and make all the talking scenes really captivating and inventive. It renewed my faith in dialog driven stories.

Also, I'm really glad I picked up a copy when I did because I love the original cover design. The new one is pretty, but I think I'm drawn to cute over pretty most days. I have both versions though!

And actually I think Raina has like 2-3 extra copies for potential gift giving :)

kiati2000

Post by kiati2000 » Thu Jan 20, 2005 2:01 pm

I rather accidently came across Duncan's Kingdom a while ago at a convention and absolutely fell in love with the illustrations and narrative style. I was so excited to get Same Difference and I think that on repeated reading the story arc of that one becomes even more enjoyable. So kudos to Derek for always coming up with such great work!

bluebottle

Post by bluebottle » Fri Jan 21, 2005 8:22 am

i completely agree with this recomendation. great read
funilly enough i couldn't find it in the local comic shop, but found it in a japanese bookstore (Konikunia) which was prett unexpected.
just that i though comic store would have it.

if you see it. buy it!

my humble opinion
'something really witty/funny or profound here!'