children's books

Recommend books, comics, graphic novels, etc.
marco

children's books

Post by marco » Wed Nov 24, 2004 10:29 pm

with the recent excitement of polar express, i've been going back and looking at some of my favorite children's books:

-Section 7 and Tuesday by David Wiesner-beautiful storytelling

-Edwurd Fudwupper Fibbed Big by Berkley Breathed- Great colors and characters

-Wizar of Oz adapted by Charles Santore- gorgeous watercolors!

what are your favorites?

deantrippe

Post by deantrippe » Wed Nov 24, 2004 10:40 pm

I push Coraline on my kids these days. (But that's fifth-through-seventh-graders.)

Growing up, I was a huge fan of Patrick's Dinosaurs and it's first sequel. Man I love that book.

Joe Shig

Post by Joe Shig » Wed Nov 24, 2004 10:52 pm

The Magic Pudding by Norman Lindsay was always a huge fave. Such magnificent pencil work.

I also had these small series of books about a kid called 'Peregrine Piecrust' who used to get into all sorts of mischeif and then "something terrible would happen". For instance, in one book Peregrine gets obsessed with watching TV, so much that his eyes end up turning square. Fun stuff.

My big brother got me onto Calvin & Hobbes when I was quite young also, which is still a regular read today, although I don't suppose it counts as a 'children's book' per say.

[EDIT] Oh! Oh! I forgot my absolute fave, which was "Once Upon a Worm" by Roger Hargreaves (the guy who did all those "Mr. Men" and "Little Miss" books). It was a massive hardcover with huge illustrations (at least it was big back then. :))
--Joe.

Azzamckazza

Post by Azzamckazza » Thu Nov 25, 2004 4:07 pm

Noddy ruined my childhood.....It's takes awhile for a young six year old mind to get over seeing his nightime storybook character being mugged, stripped and have his car stolen by the golliwogs - then made to crawl home crying through the dark forest.

Thanks alot Enid.

Roald Dahl is the next one - and of course anything by the Seussmeister.
ImageImage

B Moore

Post by B Moore » Thu Nov 25, 2004 8:01 pm

I remember really liking Maggie and the Pirate by Ezra Jack Keats, mainly for the beautiful art and weird atmosphere of the story.
Brian
ImageImage

neil

Post by neil » Fri Nov 26, 2004 12:08 am

I was just talking to Hope about "The Giving Tree" by Shel Silverstein.

It's really good.

Joe Shig

Post by Joe Shig » Fri Nov 26, 2004 12:36 am

Neil wrote:I was just talking to Hope about "The Giving Tree" by Shel Silverstein.
Mum always used to read that to me. :)
--Joe.

JonS

Post by JonS » Sat Nov 27, 2004 3:28 am

few great kids books...

-Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs
-Wayside school is falling down (more of a juvenile book, but still great)
and, one of my favorites:
-The stinky cheese man and other fairly stupid fairy tales (go find this book and read it, it's hilarious)

marco

Post by marco » Mon Nov 29, 2004 10:42 am

Neil-i Love that book, also really dig where the sidewalk ends, i have a cd of silverstein reading it, it's awesome to hear him and look at the illustrations :D

hope

Post by hope » Sat Dec 04, 2004 8:08 pm

My top three favorites:
Rain, by Peter Spier
The Silver Pony, by Lynd Ward
Goodnight Moon

Also, everyone should check out Douglas Florian's books, which are brilliant, beautiful and hilarious. I just found him recently, and wow.

Kazu
Site Admin

Post by Kazu » Sun Dec 05, 2004 12:10 am

Anything by Shel Silverstein is wonderful! The Giving Tree is one of my favorite books.

I would recommend Bill Peet, and often, I seem to be the only person that's so pumped up about his work. He has about 36 books, and they're all wonderful. Peet was one of Disney's most trusted and respected storymen, who, after years of fighting with Walt, left the studio to do children's books. His book, The Caboose Who Got Loose, was what initially got me to start drawing. His sense of layout and perspective and likable character designs impressed me so much, and I think I draw a lot like him today, because of the impression that book had on me. Anyway, I love Peet's work, and I recommend all of his books.

marco

Post by marco » Wed Dec 08, 2004 12:09 am

Kazu- i rediscovered Peet after reading about him in paper dreams. Jethro and Joel were a Troll is my favorite of his!