"Lost at Sea" by Bryan Lee O'Malley

Recommend books, comics, graphic novels, etc.
neil

"Lost at Sea" by Bryan Lee O'Malley

Post by neil » Sat Dec 20, 2003 9:17 pm

Image This is a new graphic novel out from Oni Press--an elliptically told story about a girl who believes she has no soul, on a road trip. Every page is really enjoyable to read, rendered with a simple cartoonish fluidity that deceptively includes wonderful little details like the brushing of a lock of hair behind an ear... And the sequence of images is just as great, capturing subtle moments like the pause of recognition between friends before they burst out laughing together. It's a very compact, appealing coming-of-age story and I liked it very very much. You can check out the author here: http://www.radiomaru.com
Last edited by neil on Sun Dec 21, 2003 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kazu
Site Admin

Post by Kazu » Sat Dec 20, 2003 9:20 pm

yeah, this looks really good. I'll be sure to pick up a copy at the store.

Kean
Site Admin

Post by Kean » Sat Dec 27, 2003 11:02 pm

I picked this up on boxing day, and read through it in one sitting. It's a great comic, despite the fact that I had a problem getting into the first 20 pages or so of the story (it might've had something to do with the fact that we were watching the hockey game on TV as well)...

Phil McAndrew

Post by Phil McAndrew » Mon Dec 29, 2003 3:55 pm

he had some short comics using this character on his website for a while i think, didn't he? i really enjoyed what i saw. i will have to keep an eye out for a copy of this.

Kean
Site Admin

Post by Kean » Sat Jan 03, 2004 10:18 am

Yah, they're still up on his website, over on the comics page (they're the third bunch of strips from the top). They're little strips, drawn in a slightly different style and in colour, but they give you an idea what the comic is like (some elements from the strip looks like they were later absorbed into the final comic).