Short Stories

Recommend books, comics, graphic novels, etc.
JonS

Short Stories

Post by JonS » Tue Oct 12, 2004 8:15 am

I'm a big fan of short stories (mainly cuz I don't have much time to sit down and read alot these days), especially Fitzgerald, and that cool AMERICA'S BEST SHORT STORIES series of books.

Anyone have any reading suggestions?

bluebottle

Post by bluebottle » Tue Oct 12, 2004 8:28 am

the Burned Children of America by various authors

the girl with the curious hair
a collection of shorts by David Foster Wallace
'something really witty/funny or profound here!'

agremar

Post by agremar » Tue Oct 12, 2004 8:43 am

A new collection from Gene Wolfe is out, called Endangered Species...I really recommend it because the stories cross all genres. BTW, Wolfe is my favorite sci-fi/fantasy writer as well. If you haven't read his tetrology Book of the New Sun I think you're missing out on one of the greatest literary works of all time. So yeah, I'll stop singing praises now, and get back to reading :)

ephraim

short story author recommendations

Post by ephraim » Tue Oct 12, 2004 11:46 am

I've enjoyed short stories by Harlan Ellison, J.G. Ballard and Jorge Luis Borges

Cheers,
Ephraim

Azzamckazza

Post by Azzamckazza » Tue Oct 12, 2004 4:54 pm

Dave Eggers has Why We are Hungry coming out soon- his stuff is always different
ImageImage

Mothos

Post by Mothos » Tue Oct 12, 2004 5:26 pm

William Gibson's 'Burning Chrome' is a cool collection of Sci-fi. Plus you can read Johnny Mnemonic and find out what a cool story it was before it was turned into that craptacular movie!

Kazu
Site Admin

Post by Kazu » Tue Oct 12, 2004 6:17 pm

Speaking of sci-fi stories, you can't forget Philip K. Dick. "The Second Variety", the story that the mediocre film Screamers was based on, is quite good. Isaac Asimov has plenty of great ones too.

Mothos

Post by Mothos » Tue Oct 12, 2004 7:56 pm

Kazu wrote:Isaac Asimov has plenty of great ones too.

...that have all been turned into usually crappy films. Hmmm... I seem to be noticing a trend.

Piers Anthony wrote some short stories I enjoyed. I can't remember any titles though.

B Moore

Post by B Moore » Tue Oct 12, 2004 8:47 pm

Roald Dahl, with Thurber as a chaser. :wink:

If you're going down the science fiction path, try to find one of those big anthologies of 40's short stories (there was a series called "Isaac Asmiov presents the Golden Years of Science Fiction" that was really good.) Those guys were being paid nothing, weren't recognized as "real writers" by anyone but their fans and fellow writers, and were published in pulp magazines destined to rot. And they made some really great stories.
Brian
ImageImage

JonS

Post by JonS » Tue Oct 12, 2004 9:31 pm

I'm not much of a sci-fi reader. I know my brother raves all the time about this book called Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card, I think.

One sci-fi short story that's stuck with me forever is Cold Equations, by Tom Godwin. One of the best stories I've ever read.....

Siftland

Post by Siftland » Fri Oct 15, 2004 12:27 pm

I normally don't like short stories. I'm not sure why, I just like prose fiction to provide a lot of depth. That's why I read books.

I do want to suggest and great book called The City of Saints and Madmen by Jeff Vandermeer. Vandermeer writes fantasy as sort of mock documentaries. This work has four novellas all taking place in his fantasy world Ambergris. Recently, Tor UK released a huge new edition of it with tons of new material that hasn't made it over to the states yet. So pick that up if you can.

Unwen

Post by Unwen » Mon Oct 18, 2004 12:26 am

There's an interesting short story collection from Bruce Sterling, some stories in his shaper/mechanic universe and others.
One of the shaper/mechanic ones "the swarm" is one of the best stories I read so far. But the others are very good as well, there's even a fantasy story which is done beautifully. Unfortunately I believe the thing is out of print :(