Keepers of the Maser, Maus

Recommend books, comics, graphic novels, etc.
Stick
Flight Moderator

Keepers of the Maser, Maus

Post by Stick » Thu Dec 11, 2003 7:03 am

1.) Keeper of the Maser Series - I can't describe how well drawn it is. Just read it.

2.) Maus - Another well drawn series. 2 books in total. About the holocaust and the life experiences of the author's father during that time.

Michael Firman

Post by Michael Firman » Thu Dec 11, 2003 7:25 am

Maus also explored the strained relationship between the author and his father, it was really well done and I enjoyed its humour and sincerity.

Kazu
Site Admin

Post by Kazu » Thu Dec 11, 2003 11:54 am

I purchased the Keepers of the Maser series on the strength of the drawings alone, but to this day I still have no idea what is actually going on in that story. If the writing was stronger, this would be one great comic.

Maus is the most affecting comic yet written. Hardly have I ever read a comic that gives you an incredible appreciation for the world around you and the people you love; something I only experienced while watching some of my favorite films. On top of that, Spiegelman takes an incisive look at the nature of storytelling and its relationship to the truth. Some great stuff here. A masterwork.

Hey Stick > From here on in, let's put the titles of the works at the headers, so people can see the titles immediately. I should have put some kind of note in here. Sorry about that.

Stick
Flight Moderator

Post by Stick » Thu Dec 11, 2003 12:30 pm

Kazu wrote:I purchased the Keepers of the Maser series on the strength of the drawings alone, but to this day I still have no idea what is actually going on in that story. If the writing was stronger, this would be one great comic.

Maus is the most affecting comic yet written. Hardly have I ever read a comic that gives you an incredible appreciation for the world around you and the people you love; something I only experienced while watching some of my favorite films. On top of that, Spiegelman takes an incisive look at the nature of storytelling and its relationship to the truth. Some great stuff here. A masterwork.

Hey Stick > From here on in, let's put the titles of the works at the headers, so people can see the titles immediately. I should have put some kind of note in here. Sorry about that.
actually it is pretty confusing at first, but i've got all the books so far up to "The Iron Tower" and i'm pretty sure i understand MOST of it. :)

and uhh.. thanks for changing it for me... :oops:

BlindingForce

Post by BlindingForce » Thu Dec 18, 2003 2:06 pm

They actually teach a class with Maus at the school I just graduated from. I wound up picking it up even though I couldn't get into the class (for other reasons...found out about the book later on). It's just one of those comics that should be apart of your collection.

I've slowly moved away from monthlies into projects and collections. It's probably due to the fact I'm spending more time at Barnes & Noble the the comic shop but for what I'm reading, and enjoying, that's fine by me.
Anthony Schiavino

Designer Blinding Force Productions
Mass Market Designer/Assistant TOR Books