In the Shadow of No Towers

Recommend books, comics, graphic novels, etc.
neil

In the Shadow of No Towers

Post by neil » Wed Sep 08, 2004 12:26 pm

Art Spiegelman is insightful about his own reaction to 9/11, as expected, but I was a bit disappointed with the book overall. There's only 12-15 strips (I didn't really count) with some reprinted wonderful classic Sunday comics (Windsor McCay et. al.) in the back, which don't seem to give the book much reason for being. Some of Spiegelman's tactics are a little glib (okay, so he's arranged the panels in one strip like windows in two dark towers--and there's a plane flying at them--wow), and the gaudy colors and sometimes clumsily mixed media and styles aren't all that pleasing to the eye. Each page is printed on thick cardboard like the cover, and it's oversize--it's basically a big (but short) coffeetable book, which can't help but be a little disappointing after Maus. The book is very eloquent and pretty humorous at its best, but it's so short! I think Spiegelman would have a lot more interesting things to say about this topic in a conversation over lunch (I've seen him speak before), which makes it kind of underwhelming. Am I being too cynical? I read it in a few minutes at a bookstore, so maybe I'm not giving it a fair shake.

matt spangler

Post by matt spangler » Wed Sep 08, 2004 1:31 pm

good watching out neil, looks like i will just read it at the local B and N

octolan

Post by octolan » Mon Sep 27, 2004 3:27 pm

I was a bit disapointed by the lack of material in the book, but I still bought it, because it's a really beautiful book. Besides, it may be short, but it's really dense... even if it isn't the same thing than Maus.
Joachim
one day i'll publish some serious art.