Planetes

Recommend books, comics, graphic novels, etc.
Kean
Site Admin

Planetes

Post by Kean » Sat Sep 04, 2004 7:58 am

On Khang and Kazu's recommendations, I finally picked up the first two volumes of Planetesthis past weekend... and kinda wished I grabbed the entire series to date. It's a great little manga, despite the fact that it veers dangerously towards preachy environmentalism every once in awhile (but never actually gets there).

I think the cast of supporting characters are infinitely more interesting than the protaganist, Hachimaki. He's more of a blank slate that all these events and people seem to play off of, which is something I really like. I just hope they don't completely lose the garbage-man aspect of space in the later volumes. Between the character development and the daily routine of life in space -- it's definitely a neat concept.

Kazu
Site Admin

Post by Kazu » Sat Sep 04, 2004 11:16 am

Ooooh, this is a very cool book. The characters are wonderful, the artwork is excellent, and the stories are just plain nice. I recommend it highly, and Khang is just downright obsessed with it. I guess if you have anything that treats being on a spaceship with some respect and realism, Khang will go bonkers for it anyway... hehe... :D

Stick
Flight Moderator

Post by Stick » Sun Sep 05, 2004 2:30 am

I just watched the entire anime series, and i can't tell you how much i enjoyed it. The opening and ending sequences were beautifully animated and it was a joy to watch the series. I've not as yet taken a gander at the manga series, but it looks like i'll have to.

Kean
Site Admin

Post by Kean » Wed Sep 08, 2004 10:30 pm

From the sound of things, the TV series isn't all that great.

Kazu
Site Admin

Post by Kazu » Wed Sep 08, 2004 10:35 pm

Yeah, Khang calls the TV Series an atrocity. He was sooooo sad when I met him the day after he saw the anime. He just looked at me with watery eyes and yelled, "they ruined it!!!!!" So, yeah, I assume it isn't quite the same thing. Stick, if you liked the anime, then you are in for a real treat with the manga. It's brilliant...
Last edited by Kazu on Wed Sep 08, 2004 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Finnegan

Post by Finnegan » Wed Sep 08, 2004 11:18 pm

i've come very close to buying this on several occasions. this has pretty much pushed me over the bar, and now i'll snag it on all of your recomendations

=BoB=

Unwen

Post by Unwen » Tue Dec 28, 2004 11:17 pm

It's been translated into German some time ago and the last volume in German (number 5) is scheduled for May 05 or so.
I've been reading it when it came out and was hooked straight away.
It's one of these rare cases nowadays which gives you that "classic" SciFi feeling and contributes something new at the same time.
I found the prologue and the basic idea about space garbage men especially interesting.

bannister

Post by bannister » Tue Dec 28, 2004 11:29 pm

I agree, this story is brilliant. Fourth issue is coming in January !! yeeaahhh !!
Almost 9 monthes we're waiting for it !

There is a special mood in these books, this is great anticipation sci-fi.

Ayo

Post by Ayo » Wed Dec 29, 2004 11:58 pm

I only read the first book so far, but it is one of the few manga currently coming out that I totally liked and completely anticipate following up on.
I can't fly.