slam dunk: more than 1 billion in print

Recommend books, comics, graphic novels, etc.
Ganter

slam dunk: more than 1 billion in print

Post by Ganter » Sat Aug 14, 2004 7:49 pm

important edit: I double checked with a friend, it's 1 billion copies IN PRINT not sold! Doh! That's still amazing though~~!)

I found this inspiring, so I thought I'd share:

"Your voice is also drawn in."

Yes, that's right. more than 1 billlion copies!!! Slam Dunk is one of the funniest comics I've ever read with some of the best pacing and storytelling ever. It is a classic in Asia, and Takehiko is considered a manga genius, I hope they can keep translating it because Raijin Comics is going under, I think? Or going on haitus... T_T

Anyway, to say thank you Inoue put down 1.6 billion yen of his own money to buy ad space on the back cover of the top 6 newspapers in Japan. The ads were 6 different beautiful pencil sketches of the main players with gracious quotes on the side:

the sketches

rough translation from a friend:

Hisashi: "I certainly feel connected to you."

Captain: "For every one of you in the spectator seats..." (he's talking about the fans)

Kiminobu: "For my pals who cheered together..."

Kaede: "Thank you basketball, and thank you everyone!"

Sakuragi (the main character, upper left hand portrait): "It may be me who enjoyed it the most."

kingkilburn

Post by kingkilburn » Wed Sep 08, 2004 12:09 am

slam dunk! rocks. i watched it on tv when i lived in korea(i am an army brat 8) ). it ended right before the end of the story.
He who walks the white path between the rivers with a pure heart shall come to paradise.

Kean
Site Admin

Post by Kean » Wed Sep 08, 2004 10:27 pm

I have fond memories of borrowing (Cantonese) translated copies from my friends to read when I was a kid. A great series.

I still suck at basketball, though.

Derek

Post by Derek » Sun Sep 12, 2004 10:08 pm

It's a comic about basketball. I'm sorry, but I don't have to read it to know a billion people are nuts.

incognito

Post by incognito » Sun Sep 12, 2004 10:20 pm

Derek wrote:It's a comic about basketball. I'm sorry, but I don't have to read it to know a billion people are nuts.

Stranger things have happened.

You never know man. It doesn't have to be JUST about basketball.

Derek

Post by Derek » Sun Sep 12, 2004 11:19 pm

What I'm saying is, the chances that someone will be shot with a gun that makes them painfully shit their pants are extremely slim.

I could be wrong, and the parts not about basketball could be a brilliant profile of Japanese culture, or something, or a political commentary about their not having a standing army (they don't, right?), or a hilarious exposé about all those crazy sex laws and fads that happen in Japan. But I doubt it.