1984 by George Orwell.

Recommend books, comics, graphic novels, etc.
meliohm

Post by meliohm » Thu Dec 23, 2004 11:26 am

I haven't read it yet but I read "Brave New World" by Aldous Huxley. A really good book that is about the same, at least that is what I have heard. I was really surprised by some of the situations in "Brave New World". Everything is seen from a point of view so different from ours, but at the same time it is not difficult to se us like that in the future. People controled with happiness drugs, everything controled by authorities so nothing is out of order, people finding family the most ridiculous concept and so on. A really good book, very interesting, I recommend it 100%.

Lee M

Post by Lee M » Tue May 03, 2005 5:45 pm

I confess to not having read the original book, but the John Hurt movie is atmospheric and appropriately depressing, and that damned Oceania anthem just grabs you and won't let go. Like it's meant to, of course. Pity about the Eurythmics - I've nothing against them, but they just sound out of place here.

I also caught the BBC's 1950s version a few years ago, featuring a young but already sepulchral Peter Cushing as Winston. It'd be nice to see it on DVD but apparently there were copyright issues with the film version.

Then there was a 1978 radio parody in a show called The Burkiss Way, in which Winston Smoth, on Scargillday 14 Vanessagust, 1984 learns that Big Brother is up his nose.... no description can ever do justice to its sheer silliness. Just take my word for it. At the end the announcer tells us, "if you'd like to see (sic) that again, just look out the window." How true.
Have you ever noticed how most of the trouble in the world is caused by people who claim to be trying to get rid of troublemakers?

Yacin

Post by Yacin » Sat Jul 30, 2005 6:25 am

:D :D
Amazing, prophetic, hard....1984 iT's an all time masterpiece...and It's so actual in many ways.
I recommend also the novels "Ubik" and "The Penultimate Truth" or "The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch" by Philip K.Dick
Unwearied eye of the whole universe

Squidtrick

Post by Squidtrick » Thu Mar 16, 2006 9:55 am

I know this hasn't been responded to in ages, but regardless...

If you want a really cool distopian read, try We by Yevgeny Zamyatin. It's a precursor to 1984/A brave new world, written in the Soviet Union in, eh... early 20's I think? and it's really fantastic. I'd say better than 1984.

I've never read Brave New World, or Fahrenheit 451... I'll probably read the Bradbury book, at least.

jdalton

Post by jdalton » Fri Mar 17, 2006 12:44 pm

[political rant mode]
I have four words. "Department of Homeland Security."
[/political rant mode]
Jonathon Dalton
Image Image