1984 by George Orwell.

Recommend books, comics, graphic novels, etc.
dan

1984 by George Orwell.

Post by dan » Wed Aug 04, 2004 7:45 am

I'm reading this now and I'm on page 72. But so far, I'm really drawn into the book.

This is one of (if not "the") best written book i have had the pleasure of reading. Orwell projects his distopian world very clearly, actually for some reason it makes me think of Blade Runner or a futuristic illustration by Khang Le.

So, if you want a good read about a really great and spooky book about the future, I recommend this highly. :)

dan

bluebottle

Post by bluebottle » Wed Aug 04, 2004 3:53 pm

yeah, agreed.
this was one of tose books we had to read at school. and i think the only one i trully enjoyed (at school)
'something really witty/funny or profound here!'

Mothos

Post by Mothos » Wed Aug 04, 2004 6:26 pm

Book about the future!? We're living in an Orwellian future right now! 1984 is creepy to read now because it was meant as a warning but so much of it is coming true. Doublespeak, perpetual war, no disagreement, Big Brother!

If you're into the whole dystopian future theme you should also read:

Aldus Huxley's 'Brave New World'

Ray Bradbury's 'Farenheit 451'

Now where's my Victory Gin?

jrr

Post by jrr » Wed Aug 04, 2004 7:09 pm

i read those books in highschool and didn't enjoy them too much, but in college i gave them another try and enjoyed it much better the second time. there's a book called City of Truth that takes that dystopian idea and makes it funny. it's a small book give it a try.

dan

Post by dan » Thu Aug 05, 2004 6:30 am

Actually, Mothos, I just got done reading Farehiet 451 and Brave New World is next on my list.

I have no Victory Gin, but I do have Victory Cigarettes. :)

dan

fourchinnigan

Post by fourchinnigan » Wed Oct 13, 2004 12:45 am

Orwell ranks as one of my favorite authors. I think everyone who reads his work is doing themselves a big favor. I say 1984 is one of the most important novels of the last century.

Kazu
Site Admin

Post by Kazu » Wed Oct 13, 2004 12:02 pm

Moreso than his vision, I love Orwell's use of straightforward English. So economical! :)

deantrippe

Post by deantrippe » Wed Oct 13, 2004 12:13 pm

I liked 1984, but thought F-451 was more relevant and has stood the test of time better. But yeah, both great books.

Kean
Site Admin

Post by Kean » Wed Oct 13, 2004 11:15 pm

I agree with Dean that 1984 hasn't aged all that well (although there are still some very relevant themes kicking around in there). However, I do think Orwell's Animal Farm still holds up very well.

Unwen

Post by Unwen » Mon Oct 18, 2004 12:18 am

I found 1984 better written than A brave new world but the latter is probable more relevant nowadays. Huxley wrote a follow-up Brave new World revisited, which is a collection of essays originally written for a newspaper. It's a look at how the world developed in the 15(?) years after BNW was published. There are some interesting arguments there, e.g. propaganda in a democracy and dictatorship, the role of the media and advertising. The drug SOMA also seems to be not too far of (ritalin?), ignorance is bliss, I guess.
There is another interesting book in a similar vein John Wyndham "The day of the triffids". It looks at the demise of society after a case of epidemic blindness.

hemigoblin

Post by hemigoblin » Mon Oct 18, 2004 8:40 pm

I havent read 1984 yet, but Farenhiet 451 was great.

dan

Post by dan » Mon Oct 18, 2004 9:22 pm

Man, i thought 1984 aged fairly well.

I love how both books deal with the removal of 'why' and 'how'. I thought both books dealt with the topic very well. Though, i have to agree that 451 has survivied the test of time a little better. I think this was due to the articulation of the idea through the eyes of a much more developed main character, whereas the main character in 1984 was limited in his characteristic growth.

dan

TheBeff

Post by TheBeff » Wed Oct 27, 2004 1:09 pm

i read '84 about a ear ago and i thought it had aged well also. creeped the hell out of me. especially with all those obey giant posters around.
jeph.

Dek

Post by Dek » Fri Nov 05, 2004 7:54 pm

Heh - Orwell hasn't aged as much? I see certain similarities between now and the predicted then. Osama Bin Laden, placed on television for a Two Minutes Hate? Patriot-acting random citizens, for thoughtcrime? I can definately tell some similarities.

The one thing I really loved about this book, was newspeak. I mean - it's english. It's based on English. But it's so damn cryptic, and yet so simplistic - you just can't help but wonder.

For those who haven't read it yet, there's a (as far as I can tell) legal version online at http://www.online-literature.com/orwell/1984/. Sure, it's a long read in front of a CRT screen - but well worth it. Or you can spend the $0 and get a paper copy at the library. Whatever's your fetish.

Biocreep

Post by Biocreep » Tue Nov 09, 2004 1:12 pm

the doublespeak and doublethink ideas are clearly relevant and occurring today in major politics, religion and mass media.

ie we are at war against the evil dictator hussein in iraq, dictators like this have always been a threat and terror to freedom. however, we funded this same evil dictator in iraq and supplied them with weapons in its war against iran. which is it?

wouldnt it be awful to be a soldier full of patriotism in the field fighting, some of your friends killed by enemy fire. when you finally kill or capture your enemies, you realize they are fighting against you with weapons supplied by your government maybe a decade or two ago? oy!

anyway, doublethink frightens me and i hate the fact that people are accepting of it.

go orwell!