Adele Blanc-Sec albums by Tardi

Recommend books, comics, graphic novels, etc.
B Moore

Adele Blanc-Sec albums by Tardi

Post by B Moore » Tue Jun 29, 2004 7:50 pm

I came across this series while doing some research on Jacques Tardi. (Still educating myself on European comics artists ... ) I didn't really care for the only work of his I'd seen before, the story "Manhattan" in Read Yourself Raw. The backgrounds in "Manhattan" had a heavily photo-referenced look, and the main character looked like a rubbery caricature. But the style totally works in the Blanc-Sec stories -- it goes great with the loopy action and over-the-top stories.

I'm reading (with help from Babel Fish) Le Savant Fou, where Adele goes up against a mad scientist, vengeful gangsters, and a revived (and brainwashed) prehistoric man. The action takes place in Paris in 1912, and the city is a major character -- brooding and creepy. There's also a lot of humor. During the electrical reviving of the primitive man, lightning flashes outside; a nervous scientist says, "What's all that about?" and Adele quips, "It's for the ambiance." Moments after waking up in the modern world, the prehistoric man is wearing a smoking jacket and drinking sherry, and tells the scientists he wishes he had a good Havana cigar.

English versions of most of the stories are available, but some of them only in back issues of an anthology published by Dark Horse. But even if you don't understand French, you can definitely get the gist of what's going on.
Brian
ImageImage

Johnny Neat

Post by Johnny Neat » Wed Jun 30, 2004 6:35 am

Looks super interesting.
Visit the GK Movie Watch Blog at www.Galaxykid.blogspot.com

B Moore

Post by B Moore » Wed Jan 26, 2005 10:51 pm

Bringing this thread back from deep freeze ...

I just came across an online version of the most recent Adele story, Le Mystere de Profondeurs (plot summary in English here). Something about a mysterious dentist (shown in one sequence using his tank of nitrous oxide as a flamethrower), a series of Riddler-like letters, and a long-lost sister ...
Brian
ImageImage