Haruki Murakami

Recommend books, comics, graphic novels, etc.
Monk

Haruki Murakami

Post by Monk » Mon Jun 28, 2004 2:05 pm

Is my favorite author. Of his works I have read: Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World, Norwegian Wood, and am finishing The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle. All of his stuff is very weird, dreamlike, and evocative of colors and images. Vivid.

Murakami is an interesting author, himself. His work is filled with hints and cameos of classical music and 60s hits (Norwegian Wood). He has a great affinity towards Western culture and lived in Europe for a time, and it seems like his characters are a balanced mix of both cultural personalities.

Highly recommended!

will

Re: Haruki Murakami

Post by will » Wed Jun 30, 2004 5:14 pm

I like his stuff a lot too. However it is really weird to read it and know that I'll probably never get to read it in its original language.... so much of the style is presumably lost in the translation. Since he (I'm pretty sure) speaks fairly good English, I'm wondering how he feels about translations of his own work - it seems like he takes a fairly "hands off" approach, but I wonder if he's read them at all. Wind-up is interesting because the translator had to do a lot of cuts as well to get the book down to the lenght required by the US publisher...

What also interests me is that despite being somewhat out there (sometimes he seems to me like a cross of Thomas Pynchon and Tom Robbins or something) and despite being somewhat controversial, he's apparently the most popular author in Japan... I somehow can't imagine someone like that selling more books here in the US than Michael Crichton or John Grisham or whoever the hell is *our* most popular author....

People who are interested in his work should definitely read this "roundtable" email discussion between some of his translators.
http://www.randomhouse.com/knopf/authors/murakami/roundtable.html

I'd definitely suggest checking out Sputnik Sweetheart, Wind-up Bird Chronicle, and Norwegian Wood. I liked Wild Sheep Chase too.

Kazu
Site Admin

Post by Kazu » Wed Jun 30, 2004 5:50 pm

Sounds really interesting. I'll have to look into his work...

enrico

Post by enrico » Wed Jun 30, 2004 9:41 pm

I love Murakami as well ... I am half way through A WILD SHEEP CHASE. then I'll have read all his books ...
Loved his book of short stories : After the quake.
He makes the "strange" so believable ..
the impossible so real ...

E
------------------------------
http://sketchcrawl.com
http://enricocasarosa.com
http://haiku5-7-5.com
------------------------------

neil

Post by neil » Thu Jul 01, 2004 7:12 am

I like Murakami a lot too. Isn't "after the quake" online somewhere? I think the New Yorker has it...

Thanks for the link will.

agremar

Post by agremar » Fri Jul 02, 2004 10:09 am

I've read nearly all his stuff, but I still think his Coin Locker Babies is the weirdest...

caroline

murakami

Post by caroline » Sat Sep 04, 2004 1:27 pm

Although I love his books , I have problems with most of the characters...they're really passive and when they do act, it's often self-destructive.Maybe this is just me.
Having said that, I took "Norwegian Wood "on holiday with me and literally read it to pieces, so there's something that hooks you about them.

I've spent many hours wondering whether the author's as hooked on ironing shirts as all of his characters are.

Monk

Post by Monk » Sun Sep 05, 2004 8:09 am

His characters do seem to do a lot of compulsive things... I remember Hard-Boiled Wonderland talks about the main character constantly counting the change in his pockets for relaxation. And Murakami, from what I've read and what he writes, seems like he'd be just a bit neurotic - I bet they are pretty true-to-life.

SonOfaRich

Post by SonOfaRich » Fri Oct 15, 2004 3:25 pm

agremar wrote:I've read nearly all his stuff, but I still think his Coin Locker Babies is the weirdest...

Hey agremar. That's the other Murakami, Ryu. :D

agremar

Post by agremar » Mon Oct 18, 2004 10:22 am

Gah, no wonder I thought they were so completely different. I should pay more attention to who I'm reading. I was so looking forward to another Murakami book I guess I became completely oblivious.

Monk

Post by Monk » Mon Oct 18, 2004 10:34 am

It's the little weirdnesses that make life nice, eh? I was just reading this thread and my iPod shuffled to Victor Wooten's version of Norwegian Wood...

Kean
Site Admin

Post by Kean » Mon Oct 18, 2004 11:25 am

Anyone in the Michigan area? There's a stage adaptation of The Elephant Vanishes that sounds very interesting.

I haven't yet had the opportunity to read any of Murakami's work, but I'm certainly curious enough now to check some of it out (once I manage to make a dent in my 'to read' stack of comics & books by my bed).

jen

Post by jen » Mon Oct 18, 2004 3:12 pm

For those who don't want to pour through an entire Murakami book just yet, Vintage Readers put out a Vintage Murakami which is an excellent collection of shorts and exerpts.

Oy. I love Murakami but I have such a hard time reading him. "Honeypie" and "Norwegian Wood" made me blubber like neglected 3-year-old.