Paul Grist

Recommend books, comics, graphic novels, etc.
Siftland

Paul Grist

Post by Siftland » Sat Jun 26, 2004 1:07 pm

I made this thread because everyone should check out Paul Grist if they haven't already. He's a genius and, I think, the best writer/artist working in comics today.

All his stuff is good, but his current book Jack Staff is a very quirky title about British superheroes. If you have the money pick up the big volume Image put out "Everything Used to be Black and White." His old(er) book is a police drama called Kane, which is also extremely excellent.

It takes a while to get into his designy style of drawing and constructed storytelling (I picked up a single issue of Kane once and didn't get it), but once you invest some time in his work you realize he's great. While I've only been reading his stuff for about a year (got into him late with the first Jack Staff series) he's quickly become my favorite. But I get irritated when I mention him and no one knows who he is or anything about his work (I think one out of 15 comic readers I talk to are familiar with him). So I've got to spread the word...anyone else like him?

KingMixer

Post by KingMixer » Thu Jul 15, 2004 10:11 pm

Yeah I really enjoy his work, I got into Jack Staff and didn't really get Kane because I didn't know how to approach it, but I've picked up some Kane Graphic Novels and those are fun too. His style is really simple and he uses just a dot for the eyes and a squiggle but the layout is complex. Grist is a favorite of mine.

Jason

Post by Jason » Fri Jul 16, 2004 1:41 am

Haven't really read Jack Staff or Kane (though I've heard about them), but I do know Paul's work from a short story he did with Grant Morrison called St. Swithin's Day. He's really great at capturing people and environments with just a few spare lines.

Oni Press published St. Swithin's Day a few years ago, but I don't think it's currently in print. Worth looking for though, if you don't mind a search.
i heard rumors, he was into
http://jae.imperialotter.com/