Tommysaurus Rex

Recommend books, comics, graphic novels, etc.
WillisDrummond

Post by WillisDrummond » Thu Dec 16, 2004 12:27 pm

Kazu wrote:Aaron > I think it also has a lot to do with the fact that there is hardly anything else out there that IS good. I was just chatting with Doug the other day about this, and we were talking about graphic novels in general, and how the lack of good books makes it easy for books like Flight and Tommysaurus Rex to get a lot of notice. Since the financial rewards are generally not great for doing these projects (it can be, for the lucky few, like Doug), not too many talented folks try their hand at it. In that regard, anyone who tries gets some credit in my book. Among the people doing it, Doug sits high up on the list of the best. Also, Doug knows full well where his talent level is. Despite his notorious persona, he is a very humble man at heart, and he does admit that Tommysaurus was a bit rushed. Just wait until you guys see Earthboy Jacobus. It's Doug returning to his crazy cool sci-fi roots with some of the best concepts I've ever seen, and I am pretty sure the 300+ page book will blow you all away.

Anyway, I felt Tommysaurus was good, especially near the end, but it did feel slightly rushed and I wish he had spent a little more time developing the characters. He had a fantastic concept, but didn't quite hit the home run with it. Overall, though, still a very good book, and I sure am glad Doug's out there making these books.
Kazu ain't lying about Earthboy Jacobus. It will blow faces off in the same way that AC/DC's "Back in Black" does, only with pictures. I've seen some of the art and know some of the story. Amazing stuff. I've read all of Doug's comics and this will be on par, if not far above, Creature Tech.
In Soviet Russia, television watches you.

Azzamckazza

Post by Azzamckazza » Thu Dec 16, 2004 3:30 pm

Sweeeeeet! Judging from the sounds of things it's going to be a big bastard too.

Can't wait
ImageImage

WillisDrummond

Post by WillisDrummond » Fri Dec 17, 2004 10:58 am

From what I hear, it'll be longer than Creature Tech. That was 200+.

Siftland

Post by Siftland » Fri Dec 17, 2004 12:38 pm

whatchu' talkin' bout Willis?

(couldn't resist)

The new book does sound interesting. He's going to have to knock it out of the park to regain my confidence though.

WillisDrummond

Post by WillisDrummond » Mon Dec 20, 2004 2:10 pm

I don't think they've built a park that could contain this book. The design of the bad guys alone just kills me.

Kazu
Site Admin

Post by Kazu » Mon Dec 20, 2004 4:26 pm

WillisDrummond wrote:I don't think they've built a park that could contain this book. The design of the bad guys alone just kills me.
Yeah, "Army Mouth" is quite possibly the coolest concept I have ever seen. :)

WillisDrummond

Post by WillisDrummond » Thu Dec 23, 2004 3:53 pm

Kazu wrote:
WillisDrummond wrote:I don't think they've built a park that could contain this book. The design of the bad guys alone just kills me.
Yeah, "Army Mouth" is quite possibly the coolest concept I have ever seen. :)
DUDE! You're lucky that you live near/work with Doug. I haven't seen any of the project stuff since July. If I could buy a half hour of Doug's creative brain activity I would. I'd dole out one or two minutes every six months, so I'd have enough ideas to get my own ideas off the ground.

TenNapeltron

Post by TenNapeltron » Sun Jan 23, 2005 8:05 pm

Blushing. I just finished page 215 of Earthboy Jacobus. Trying to finish up the last page (272) by the end of February. Kazu, I got my own booth at San Diego this year so I won't be all piled up in the corner on you. It was very generous of all your cramped artists to let me squeeze in last year. Hopefully we'll be right across from each other this year (I'll be out on a corner isle sharing with Sam Hiti).
"Art for art's sake is a philosophy of the well fed." - Frank Lloyd Wright

Nofret

Post by Nofret » Sun Jan 23, 2005 8:34 pm

Ooh, so looking forward to this one :D You got one guaranteed sale right here!

TenNapeltron

Post by TenNapeltron » Sun Jan 23, 2005 9:52 pm

Each book costs $8500.00. THANKS!
"Art for art's sake is a philosophy of the well fed." - Frank Lloyd Wright

Nofret

Post by Nofret » Mon Jan 24, 2005 8:34 am

Well, if you leave me 40 years to pay for it...lessee...that's about 200$ a year...we could work something out ;)
And I'll want all the original art. Ha!! :twisted: