Tommysaurus Rex

Recommend books, comics, graphic novels, etc.
Nofret

Post by Nofret » Fri Jul 30, 2004 6:36 am

Same here: bought tommysaurus at the con and really liked it.
I have huge powers of suspension of disbelief ;)

sideache

Post by sideache » Fri Jul 30, 2004 11:13 pm

I bought it at Con and loved it. I have recommended it highly to friends as well as his other works. I found Doug to be a delightful person from my short conversation with him at the Con. Life would be awefully mundane if we only read material and hung out with people that agreed with us 100% of the time. I appreciate Doug for his story telling abilities and because he seemed like quite a decent fellow. Now if I find out he kicks his dog or cat, then just maybe...

phasma

Post by phasma » Thu Aug 05, 2004 9:24 pm

is it as good as turner and hootch?

neil

Post by neil » Fri Aug 06, 2004 4:21 am

I read this on my flight back after the convention, and I thought it was really wonderful--a genuine heartbreaker. And Doug TenNapel was a great booth-mate. 8)

matt spangler

Post by matt spangler » Fri Aug 06, 2004 9:08 am

dik pose, i will need to borrow this...now that you are done of course.
Last edited by matt spangler on Fri Aug 06, 2004 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sideache

Post by sideache » Fri Aug 06, 2004 1:33 pm

Lunarc, I had my wife read it and she enjoyed it very much. That's a ringing endorsement.

Bill_B

Post by Bill_B » Thu Aug 19, 2004 7:19 pm

Tommysaurus is GREAT! Doug really is a master storyteller and it really shows here.

PuzzleShift

Post by PuzzleShift » Tue Dec 07, 2004 1:37 am

My copy just so happened to arrive in the mail today...I should get off this computer and go read it!

-PS

Azzamckazza

Post by Azzamckazza » Tue Dec 07, 2004 4:55 pm

Am I the only person that wasn't impressed with this book?
It seemed way too short, way too fast and almost direct rip-off from The Iron Giant. The art was rushed and sloppy (some frames were pathetic) and the moral of the story was jammed down my throat. Who would forgive after something like that?

I was worried it was just me but everyone I've shown it to has said the same

I must be missing something with Doug Tennapel's work and this master storyteller label everyone seems to be giving him. He has good ideas and thats about it. Thank god he got rid of the 'Getting a character to describe what is going on' thing he had in Creature Tech.

His early artwork is fantastic (I hear he's submitted Solomon Fix for Flight - which is awesome) but his comics come across as preachy and rushed. Not surprising though, coming from a man that says you should start every story by coming up with a moral.
ImageImage

Siftland

Post by Siftland » Tue Dec 07, 2004 5:08 pm

I agree. I liked parts of Creature Tech (it would have been fantastic without all the religious stuff). But this one did nothing for me, and, like you said, is way too much like Iron Giant and much too preachy.

I like his drawing style and story/character sensibilities. But, after two failed opportunities, I probably won't pick up his next book.

Azzamckazza

Post by Azzamckazza » Tue Dec 07, 2004 5:11 pm

Can I bottle you Siftland? I've seen hardly anyone who has been critical of Tennapel's stuff - and he is a talented man who is in need of listening to some serious criticism.
ImageImage

Reagan

Post by Reagan » Thu Dec 09, 2004 11:21 pm

Azzamckazza wrote:I've seen hardly anyone who has been critical of Tennapel's stuff
Gee, maybe it's because his stuff is good?

Kazu
Site Admin

Post by Kazu » Thu Dec 09, 2004 11:39 pm

Aaron > I think it also has a lot to do with the fact that there is hardly anything else out there that IS good. I was just chatting with Doug the other day about this, and we were talking about graphic novels in general, and how the lack of good books makes it easy for books like Flight and Tommysaurus Rex to get a lot of notice. Since the financial rewards are generally not great for doing these projects (it can be, for the lucky few, like Doug), not too many talented folks try their hand at it. In that regard, anyone who tries gets some credit in my book. Among the people doing it, Doug sits high up on the list of the best. Also, Doug knows full well where his talent level is. Despite his notorious persona, he is a very humble man at heart, and he does admit that Tommysaurus was a bit rushed. Just wait until you guys see Earthboy Jacobus. It's Doug returning to his crazy cool sci-fi roots with some of the best concepts I've ever seen, and I am pretty sure the 300+ page book will blow you all away.

Anyway, I felt Tommysaurus was good, especially near the end, but it did feel slightly rushed and I wish he had spent a little more time developing the characters. He had a fantastic concept, but didn't quite hit the home run with it. Overall, though, still a very good book, and I sure am glad Doug's out there making these books.

Finnegan

Post by Finnegan » Fri Dec 10, 2004 12:05 am

Kazu wrote: Just wait until you guys see Earthboy Jacobus. It's Doug returning to his crazy cool sci-fi roots with some of the best concepts I've ever seen, and I am pretty sure the 300+ page book will blow you all away.
kazu, you always have the best news :)

this is something i knew nothing about, but i am now tremendously excited about :D

i feel the need to play some neverhood now!

=BoB=

PuzzleShift

Post by PuzzleShift » Fri Dec 10, 2004 3:12 pm

Kazu wrote:Anyway, I felt Tommysaurus was good, especially near the end, but it did feel slightly rushed and I wish he had spent a little more time developing the characters. He had a fantastic concept, but didn't quite hit the home run with it. Overall, though, still a very good book, and I sure am glad Doug's out there making these books.
Having read it since it arrived in the mail the other day, I share this assessment. It's a great read, and, true to form, Doug had me rolling with laughter every other page when I wasn't spending five minutes taking in every detail of each frame. However, it definately felt rushed. I agree that it would have benefitted from additional character development and pacing. Kazu, you and a few others who have seen parts of Earthboy Jacobus have me drooling in anticipation...but we have to wait until halfway through next year to see it!

-PS