a new GN source?

Recommend books, comics, graphic novels, etc.
J-Minter

a new GN source?

Post by J-Minter » Sat Sep 20, 2008 7:19 pm

I usually peruse Borders first when I can catch the bus to the bigger towns, and then I check out local nerderies, but so far, I can't find much to interest me. They have plenty of big names and some smaller good stuff (I actually found a copy of Daisy Kutter in a store behind a bar, which surprised me, because nobody around me has even heard of Flight or Kazu), but right now I'm looking for A: some recommended reading, and B: a good shop source (online).

love to get some thoughts

"Religion is not the opiate of the masses, religion is the placebo of the masses."

--House

William Ward

Post by William Ward » Sun Sep 21, 2008 6:59 am

What do you like?

J-Minter

Post by J-Minter » Sun Sep 21, 2008 5:05 pm

I personally prefer stuff that is willing to stay solid with both the art and the writing (not a fan of manga, for some reason). For example, I loved Blankets. I'm looking for more stuff like that. I'm always open to new material, though, so I'd love any recommendations.

"Religion is not the opiate of the masses, religion is the placebo of the masses."

--House

nateomedia

Post by nateomedia » Sun Sep 21, 2008 9:37 pm

It's really hard to make recommendations when you don't know what a person has read. You mention loving Blankets, but is that because you love the subject matter (genre) or the quality of the work?

Sticking with the same genre (auto-bio), have you tried anything by Adrian Tomine? Jessica Abel's La Perdida? John Porcellino's King-Cat? Seth's Palookaville?

Going a little further afield: How about Charles Burn's Blackhole? Hernandez Bros. Love & Rockets? Chris Ware's Acme Novelty Library?

Paul Pope? Robert Crumb? Jeff Smith? Daniel Clowes?

As far as shopping online goes, just go to Amazon. You're not going to beat their prices.