Flight-esque short stories...

Recommend books, comics, graphic novels, etc.
DarkWriter31

Flight-esque short stories...

Post by DarkWriter31 » Sat Aug 16, 2008 2:25 pm

Anybody have any recommendations? The only ones I know of are Star Wars Tales and Put the Book Back on the Shelf: Belle and Sebastian.

Adam
"Show me a hero and I'll write you a tragedy." - F. Scott Fitzgerald

http://onethirsty.blogspot.com (My writings and ramblings.)

William Ward

Post by William Ward » Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:36 pm

There are quite a few, I’ll try and pull together a list. Here are two that I think you might really enjoy.

FABLEWOOD: With stories ranging from sword-and-sorcery to slice-of-life, Fablewood features the creations of Flight alumni J.P. Ahonen and Sarah Mensinga, Ryan Ottley, and Chris Studabaker with his Day Prize-nominated tale ‘Under the Midnight Sun’.

HELLBOY (Vol. 3): THE CHAINED COFFIN AND OTHERS: This collection of short stories by Mike Mignola can be read without reading the previous volumes. It includes ‘The Corpse’, considered by many to be one of the best short-form stories ever produced.

In the interest of full disclosure, I was the editor of Fablewood. I think it is a good match, given the involvement of two Flight contributors. You can pick it up here:

http://www.ape-entertainment.com/store.htm

Joey

Post by Joey » Sat Aug 16, 2008 8:37 pm

Project: Romantic is an excellent anthology. In fact, all of AdHouse's Project books are great, but this is the only one still available. It's also my favorite of the series.

Along the lines of Put the Book Back on the Shelf, there's a new Tori Amos-inspired book from Image called Comic Book Tattoo. I haven't read it yet, but I've heard great things about it, making me even curious although I'm not super-familiar with Amos's music.

Papercutter is probably my favorite anthology series being published. They are published in smaller issues with only 3-4 contributers each issue, so it's a lot smaller than Flight, but each issue is fantastic. You can get those from Tugboat Press.
Visit the Tragic Planet!

jdalton

Post by jdalton » Mon Aug 18, 2008 5:57 pm

You Ain't No Dancer is a pretty good anthology. I'm not sure it's quite in the same genre as Flight, but there are a lot of artists who have worked on both (Neil Babra, Bannister, Kean Soo, etc.) so that's a pretty good indication. There's a new volume due out soon.
Jonathon Dalton
Image Image

Ben Montgomery

Post by Ben Montgomery » Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:33 pm

There's a pretty cool collection of Spider-man stories told in fairy tale form.
"Many can Bullshit; few can write."
-- Dr. Gardner, Associate Professor of English, University of North Alabama