Thunderer: A Novel of High Fantasy

Recommend books, comics, graphic novels, etc.
dark77778

Thunderer: A Novel of High Fantasy

Post by dark77778 » Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:37 am

Okay, so every spring and summer I get into this habit of total bookworming. This year was terrible because I spent way too much money on books, most of which I probably won't have time to read (though I've been surprising myself recently) and so anyways, I thought to myself as I looked at my pile of Amulet, Jellaby, The Encyclopedia of Fictitious Places, Pendragon, etc. that I should take a gamble on something that I have no idea about. Well did I ever make the right decision this year. This book seems to be by a first time author (unless I'm mistaken, I very well could be because the book is hardcover, but it says so in the margin of the book that he is) Felix Gilman, and so far I'm only 1/4 into the book and it hasn't disappointed me yet. The book takes place in the everchanging city of Ararat, whose borders are so big that nobody knows where it ends, though it starts at the sea. It's actually illegal to try to map the city as well, because the people take it an offense to the cities majesty.

Anyways, the whole book feels like a European Miyazaki film for a slightly more mature audience (though I still haven't read Howl's so I might be making a bad comparison...should've picked that one up too actually...darn) and the story starts with the member of a distant choir in the city of Gad goes off looking for the god that used to reside there, and who he thinks might've moved to Ararat. When he gets there, a giant bird god flys overhead and reshapes the city and allows the second main character, Jack, to escape from his workhouse by riding on the bird god's updraft with a sheet. Then the military gets its hands on a piece of the bird god's power which allows for a huge battleship to take flight into the sky and become the cities first and only airship.

The rest of the book goes about in third person limited to most of these three factions. So far, Arjun's search seems pointless in comparison to Jack's fancy Peter Pan meets Oliver storlyine, but I can't help but get this lone ranger feeling from Arjun in the last chapter. The thing that strikes me the most as Miyazaki-like however, is the dark military captain and the makeup clad countess. Makes me think of Princess Mononoke all over again. Again, I'm only 100 pages into the book, so this recommendation might be for naught if the book's ending is terrible but so far, the first 100 pages of the book are a solid recommendation.
I'm my own breed of eccentric.