Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Recommend books, comics, graphic novels, etc.
mestioko

Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Post by mestioko » Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:23 am

I must say this is my all-time favorite sci-fi novel. Ender's Shadow is wonderful as well (Bean rocks). Would've loved to see EG made into a movie, but how do you get a bunch of kid actors to talk like super-intelligent adults? I think Haley Joel Osment could've play Ender (right around the time of Sixth Sense), but I guess that time has passed. Perhaps an animated film? Probably too dark, the subject matter. Ah well, maybe some books shouldn't ever be movies ...

cecil

Post by cecil » Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:30 am

Space War Blues by Richard Lupoff is my favorite science fiction novel i think. i loved Starship Troopers and Armor, as well.

i actually bought Space War Blues because of the cover. the front of the book is a man wearing a skin tight jumpsuit in the design of a confederate flag, holding a space pistol reminiscent of a tool marvin the martian might use. at his side is a scantly clad woman with a whip.

it was really good and very trashy.

dik pose

Post by dik pose » Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:15 pm

Enders Game is one of the best novels I have read, sci fi or not... super good. The rest of the series is ok, but it gets a little heavy at times.

jdalton

Post by jdalton » Tue Jun 24, 2008 5:43 pm

Ender's Game is awesome. The second book in the series is pretty good too. (I didn't like the third and haven't read the rest). It would be difficult to turn it into a movie, though I think not impossible. Personally I think it would make an awesome comic.

Yeah.
Jonathon Dalton
Image Image

mestioko

Post by mestioko » Tue Jun 24, 2008 6:53 pm

Definitely a great graphic novel prospect. You should read Ender's Shadow. It's the exact same time period as Ender's Game but from Bean's perspective. It's fun to review the two together; you discover the drama Bean was going through at flight school unbeknownst to Ender.

DarkWriter31

Re: Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Post by DarkWriter31 » Sat Aug 16, 2008 4:52 pm

[quote="mestioko"]I must say this is my all-time favorite sci-fi novel. Ender's Shadow is wonderful as well (Bean rocks). Would've loved to see EG made into a movie, but how do you get a bunch of kid actors to talk like super-intelligent adults? I think Haley Joel Osment could've play Ender (right around the time of Sixth Sense), but I guess that time has passed. Perhaps an animated film? Probably too dark, the subject matter. Ah well, maybe some books shouldn't ever be movies ...[/quote]

It is. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0400403/

I think that Cameron Bright (X3, Running Scared, Thank You for Smoking) would probably be the one cast. I haven't read the book yet though.

Adam
"Show me a hero and I'll write you a tragedy." - F. Scott Fitzgerald

http://onethirsty.blogspot.com (My writings and ramblings.)

mestioko

Post by mestioko » Sat Aug 16, 2008 9:54 pm

Looks lik eit's going to be a Marvel comic series as a precursor to a movie.

http://io9.com/5029258/this-is-what-end ... rom-now-on

jdalton

Post by jdalton » Mon Aug 18, 2008 5:51 pm

mestioko wrote:Looks lik eit's going to be a Marvel comic series as a precursor to a movie.

http://io9.com/5029258/this-is-what-end ... rom-now-on
Aw, crumb. There goes my chances of ever getting to do a comic adaptation of it.
Jonathon Dalton
Image Image

nateomedia

Post by nateomedia » Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:44 pm

I too loved Ender's Game. I've read it multiple times.

Which is why I was saddened by the recent news that Orson Scott Card is an extreme homophobe and has called for the outlawing of homosexuality. I'm not down with hate speech.

I'm not taking any position here that his work shouldn't be read because of this or anything, nor am I trying to start any kind of debate. But it is a fact that at least makes me somewhat uncomfortable about supporting his work.

:(

Ben Montgomery

Post by Ben Montgomery » Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:30 pm

I've always thought it would be awesome as a video game. But, so excited about the graphic novel.
"Many can Bullshit; few can write."
-- Dr. Gardner, Associate Professor of English, University of North Alabama