Recommendations For a Newbie?

Recommend books, comics, graphic novels, etc.
Mak91

Recommendations For a Newbie?

Post by Mak91 » Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:28 am

I am fairly new to the world of graphic novels. I was introdiced to the medium about a year ago, and the number of graphic novels I have read since then is unimpressive (Blankets by Craig Thompson, Flight 1, plus some on-line stuff) . However, I want to try and broaden my experience.
The letdown is that I live in a country where comics, even ones which are mainstream in the USA and Western Europe, aren't really sold anywhere. That's why I'm looking for graphic novels that you can preferrably either download or read on-line (I know, that's a lot to ask for). Additionally, I do not like superhero stories and am not looking for manga (manhwa, manhua and manhoa too).
Do you have any suggestions as to what I could read?

Joey

Post by Joey » Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:20 am

Hmm...well, first I'll stick in a little self-promotion and point out that you can read my first graphic novel, The Ride Home, entirely online here.

Then, let's see...Smile is a great graphic novel in progress. At the moment it's in the middle of a bunch of guest strips, but you can click back to go to the beginning and read from there.

I also reccomend checking out the Secret Friend Society, which contains Hope Larson's entire Salamander Dream graphic novel, and the first big chunk of Kean Soo's graphic novel series, Jellaby.

And Derik Kirk Kimalso has a handful of comics online, including, I believe, all of his first graphic novel, Same Difference.

Those are the first couple that I can think of off the top of my head. Enjoy!
Visit the Tragic Planet!

GopherZ

Post by GopherZ » Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:51 pm

I am also a 'newbie', so I am not sure whether my advice will be appreciated...
I have read a number of graphic novels online. For example, here is http://faith.rydia.net/101.html Demonology 101 by Faith Erin Hicks. Also, if you have a torrent client installed, you can dowload comics from mininova.org (it is piracy! BE WARNED! :) ).
If you liked Blankets, I would recommend Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi to you. It's a black-and white autobiographical coming-of-age story. I doubt you can read it online though...[/url][/quote]

Mak91

Post by Mak91 » Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:59 pm

Joey: thank you so much! Self-promotion never hurts, and I'll read your graphic novel as soon as I have enough time. Also, I was really excited when I saw that link to same Difference. I have heard about that graphic novel before. sadly, my computer will not display the pictures. I am no technical whiz, so I'll have to ask someone for help...
GopherZ: all replies are appreciated. Actually, it makes me feel safe that there is another newbie out there in the forums! Thank you for your links. Again, when I have enough time...

Joey

Post by Joey » Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:48 pm

HEY! Totally wasn't on purpose, but I just realized that everyone who I posted about have contributed to Flight at one time or another! 8)

Mak, if you don't mind my asking, I'm curious...what country do you live in?
Visit the Tragic Planet!

Mak91

Post by Mak91 » Fri Jan 25, 2008 7:53 am

Russia. Maybe I exaggerated when I said you can't find comics anywhere... but at least in even the hugest bookstores, you can't. There's a chance there are some special comic stores, but I have yet to find any. Not that I am determined enough to search, but still...

jdalton

Post by jdalton » Fri Jan 25, 2008 6:31 pm

Joey's book is awesome and should be read by everyone. :)

As for slightly Flight-like online comics that are neither Japanese style nor superheroes, I might also recommend Gunnerkrigg Court, Between Two Worlds, and Minus.
Jonathon Dalton
Image Image