Charles Schulz Biography

Recommend books, comics, graphic novels, etc.
bclark

Charles Schulz Biography

Post by bclark » Fri Dec 21, 2007 5:41 pm

Ok, so I've heard mixed reviews -- and even read Bill Watterson's review on the book.

My question's are-- Is it good? Is it truthful? Will I be disappointed?
"An intellectual is a man who says something simple in a difficulty way. An artist is a man who says something difficult in a simple way."
-Charles Bukowski

Harry Myland (IV)

Post by Harry Myland (IV) » Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:21 pm

My buddy told me he was going to pick it up for my birthday, but from what he heard the book paints Schulz to look like a jerk.

He always seems so kindly in interviews, and PEANUTS is, well, PEANUTS. Schulz was a loner, but I can't picture him being mean spirited towards others.

I may pick it up one of these days just to see what it says...
NOMAD TOFU (updates M/W/F... it's about a goofy nomad who causes disaster everywhere he goes.)

Josh Mauser

Post by Josh Mauser » Sun Aug 10, 2008 9:50 pm

so I know this is a little late, but Watterson's review (http://online.wsj.com/public/article/SB119214690326956694.html#CX) puts an interesting spin on things indeed. I might not be well read enough or something but I couldn't help but smile when he pulled out words that I had to look up like "avuncular" and "abnegation," seeing as how reading Calvin and Hobbes was the reason I have a half decent vocabulary in the first place, I think.

I've heard similar "makes him look like a jerk" criticisms but I might find time to pick the book up after all...

socialcharlotte

Re: Charles Schulz Biography

Post by socialcharlotte » Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:22 pm

I used to live in the same small town as Shultz.. he was more of a recluse than the book suggests. Otherwise he was not very controversial .. the town by the way was named Woodstock...
Social Charlotte