Best Comics not in (most) Stores?

Recommend books, comics, graphic novels, etc.
William Ward

Best Comics not in (most) Stores?

Post by William Ward » Fri Nov 16, 2007 6:20 am

I was looking that the thread about comics worth reading and I thought it might be worth taking a different approach, talking about comics that are a little less likely to have been read by large numbers of people.

Having not been able to really go to a lot of convention/shows I have just recently started seeing work that you can't order through Diamond or find at Barnes and Noble. I won't say we need to limit to books that are not offered by Diamond, lets just say books that most stores don't carry, but I am really curious about those type of books.

Any suggestions?

Joey

Post by Joey » Fri Nov 16, 2007 6:57 am

Little House Comics. Specifically what they've got in the "minis" section....
Visit the Tragic Planet!

William Ward

Post by William Ward » Fri Nov 16, 2007 7:53 am

Those look really great, I will definitely be spending some money there! Thanks for directing me, I really need to try and expand into something I was not aware of.

William Ward

Post by William Ward » Fri Nov 16, 2007 8:11 am

Sam Hiti’s Tiempos Finales. Xeric Award winner and from what I can tell, not available everywhere (though I bet you can find it at larger stores, I don’t have one near by). I have to order more of his work from his website.

You can find Northern Overexposure on J.P. Ahonen’s site, I got it and it was great. It was posted on the front page here a while ago, so likely some people here have it, but I don’t think it is available everywhere.

You can find two Trades Layla Lawlor’s website for the comic. Very enjoyable fantasy, extremely well constructed setting.

Lots of fun!

This one is of course a little easier to run across at your local comic shop, but I think it is still fair to say that most shops don’t carry it. Maybe not, still worth mentioning.

Scott Hallett

Post by Scott Hallett » Fri Nov 16, 2007 12:34 pm

"Never As Bad As You Think" by Kathryn & Stuart Immonen

Picked it up on a whim from their website http://www.immonen.ca

Very funny, based on what seemed like a very fun experiment. Each page is based off the topic of Illustration Friday for the weeks they ran it online.

This may be available in Diamond, I'm not sure, but I bet it isn't sitting on a lot of comic shelves.

jdalton

Post by jdalton » Sat Nov 17, 2007 2:32 am

Wow, some good suggestions so far! I need more money so I can get these...

A lot of my best hard(er) to find comics are from people who are already internet-famous or Flight-associated, but a couple of Vancouver-based books worth getting include "True Loves" by Jason Turner, and the short but to-the-point "1918" by Ken Boesem.
Jonathon Dalton
Image Image

Scott Hallett

Post by Scott Hallett » Tue Dec 04, 2007 7:30 am

I just got Sam Hiti’s Tiempos Finales in the mail yesterday. I haven't been through the whole thing but I can say that it's absolutely gorgeous. Sam's artwork is awesome.

William Ward

Post by William Ward » Wed Dec 05, 2007 7:47 pm

Glad you picked it up, it was a nice read.

William Ward

Post by William Ward » Sat Mar 01, 2008 12:39 pm

Joey wrote:Little House Comics. Specifically what they've got in the "minis" section....
I picked up a few of the comics at this site, and I was floored by the quality. Thanks for the recommendation. I liked everything I bought, but particularly enjoyed:

Mattie & Dodi
The Beast Mother

William Ward

Post by William Ward » Fri Apr 04, 2008 9:32 am

Still reading through the pile I ordered, but here is a nice place as well:

http://www.onepercentpress.com/comics/