The Umbrella Academy

Recommend books, comics, graphic novels, etc.
Og

The Umbrella Academy

Post by Og » Wed Sep 19, 2007 8:55 pm

Give it up for Gabriel Ba (and My Chemical Romance front man Gerard Way)'s Umbrella Academy. Love the art, and the writing has given me JUST enough to bring me back next time for the hidden bits of which I only got a glimpse in this book. This is one I wish went direct to trade so I could read the whole dang thing right now.

For those of you who don't know what I'm talking about, check the link below. It shows a bit of a preview of the book, with a really slick progression from Gerard Way's script through Gabriel Ba's pencils, inks, and Dave Stewart's sweet sweet colours:

http://www.darkhorse.com/downloads.php?did=684

Man. And if looking at that doesn't make you want to draw a comic RIGHT NOW, check yer pulse...
ImageImage

Scott Hallett

Post by Scott Hallett » Thu Sep 20, 2007 6:31 am

Picked this up yesterday. I have to say I was pleasantly surprised. I wasn't as miffed about Gerard Way's involvement as some online sources seemed to be, as I had read about his passion for comics. I was however surprised by the amount of humor in this book. I would have pegged it for a more moody offering. Very well done.

Og

Post by Og » Thu Sep 20, 2007 7:05 am

OH, yeah, it was really in vogue to trash Gerard and attempt to dismiss the whole project as some sort of Hollywood (ne Music Industry) vanity project. Turns out, that's now how it is.

I mean, if you look at Gerard's scripts (in my previous link), you can see he's thinking about the actual comics. He's specifying some layouts, specific panels in some cases. That's not the usual five-minute lack of effort that some comic "writers" will put forth scripting a page.

And, yeah, the humor is good. And of course Gabriel's art is spot on. Gabriel and his brother Fabio are either going to make me want to draw better, or are going to shame me into quitting.

Either or.

Regardless, I'll be waiting for the next issue of TUA.
ImageImage

Kazu
Site Admin

Post by Kazu » Thu Sep 20, 2007 12:15 pm

Man, those drawings look great.

roma

Post by roma » Mon Sep 24, 2007 5:34 pm

OMG, Gerard!? And is so cool that he's a comic writer...and a good one too. I'm so proud to be a fan.

nateomedia

Post by nateomedia » Tue Oct 16, 2007 3:19 pm

Am I the only one who no longer will buy limited series in pamphlet form? The trades hit so quickly after the series wraps up that I just can't see why I shouldn't wait. I find that it's more satisfying to read the whole story in a sitting anyway. Hrm.

Og

Post by Og » Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:40 am

Second issue is out, and the quality is right up there. Again, props to all involved. I'm green, positively green with envy.

As for waiting for the trade, I agree - it seems odd- why buy the comic when the trade is on its way so quickly? *shrug* I hardly ever buy comics anymore in favor of trades, but I dunno. With this one I just can't help it.

I wonder if the bean counters have figured that in yet? (ie, if the comic doesn't sell well, will that hurt the property's chance to go trade? What if the comic doesn't sell well BECAUSE everyone's waiting on the trades?)
ImageImage

anthony

Post by anthony » Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:02 pm

finished it. loved it!!! a good melancholy ending.

Harry Myland (IV)

Post by Harry Myland (IV) » Sun Aug 10, 2008 10:31 pm

I picked up the Apocalypse Suite trade last week - this book is real solid. The back matter is pretty awesome too (Gerard Way can freakin' DRAW!), and you get bonus minis.

I've always preferred trades to issues...