Harry Potter book 7

Recommend books, comics, graphic novels, etc.
Muffin

Post by Muffin » Tue Aug 14, 2007 1:14 am

Tony wrote:<HEY! SPOILERS!>

Am I the only one who felt like book six was a whole lot of pages of people alternately kissing and sitting around the table saying "Malfoy and/or Snape is up to something bad!" bookended by a couple unique chapters? Admittedly, it was a while ago so it's not fresh in the brain, but book six felt a bit like work for me.

It might have been the Ginny/Harry romance thing. I must have missed a chapter or something, because it seemed to me like that just came from nowhere.

</SPOILERS>
Tony, - the ginny/harry-thing sort of came out in book 5 for my sake. I was waiting for it in book 6. But what I loved about book 6 was the mix of the daily life, them actually being teenagers and discovering things and then the side with all the travels back in time, the stories we got to know about voldemort and so on. I think book 6 was one of the most complex ones, and I regret not reading it again just before book 7. So I'm gonna read it again now soon istead. :p

Og

Post by Og » Tue Aug 14, 2007 11:29 am

Scott Hallett wrote:Are these books actually worth the hype? I've never read one as I've seen her writing (especially on the first few books) panned as being poor.
I don't know that any book deserves the hype that these books have endured, and I don't know how many books could hold up to it, frankly. But they are fun reads, enjoyable for both adults and children.

As for people panning her writing, there's always a group of people out there ready to pan anything that the Masses find interesting. People who consider themselves more intelligent and well-read than everyone else have a tendencey to dismiss popular appeal as invalid art, success as being without merit, and there is no way to change their minds.

J.K.Rowling brought out my own itch to write, and kindled the desire to read in the hearts of millions of kids. That doesn't happen without merit, and as a storyteller, you owe it to yourself to see what all the fuss is about. But since they are actually fun as well, you'd do well to add these 7 books to your list of things to get to. Ignore the snobs.
ImageImage

Og

Post by Og » Tue Aug 14, 2007 11:42 am

Tony wrote:<HEY! SPOILERS!>

Am I the only one who felt like book six was a whole lot of pages of people alternately kissing and sitting around the table saying "Malfoy and/or Snape is up to something bad!" bookended by a couple unique chapters? Admittedly, it was a while ago so it's not fresh in the brain, but book six felt a bit like work for me.

</SPOILERS>
I suppose I felt something like that, but I'm not sure. What I realized while reading book 7 is how little I remembered of book 6. I think Kazu is right. I think for the best benefit, you'd want to read books 5, 6, and 7 all in a row, because there's just so much story and detail buried amongst the seemingly mundane details of Rowling's world.

To her credit, she let her characters grow, mature, and even turn into snotty adolescents there for a bit. It's brave, but it's also true to the characters. I think that's something I respond to. The characters aren't just chess pieces on a board, getting pushed around by the unseen hand of Author the Master. They pursue their own aims. At the same time, I never reached the point of wanting to be done with them, either.

I was satisfied with the ending of Book 7. But mainly, I'm sad it's over. I can re-read it all, sure, but never again for the first time. These books have been an incredible experience, much more than simple words on the page. (For anyone, like me, looking for a bit more than the epilogue offered, Rowling answered pretty much everything in an interview a few weeks ago. Enjoy.)
ImageImage