relaxing/chill books

Recommend books, comics, graphic novels, etc.
xelart

relaxing/chill books

Post by xelart » Thu May 17, 2007 11:28 pm

can someone recommend a book/books that are adventure/fantasy? with relaxing feel and not epic. just a cool setting that is described nicely by the author and some fascinating characters. +no futuristic/sci-fi stuff +no ordinary dragon tale book. i do like the idea of superpowers sometimes tho. that would be cool. i dont want a book with a lot of tragedy/lame drama and such either. just nice to read summer book. im going to be working in a bookstore this summer afterall. 8)

Joey

Post by Joey » Fri May 18, 2007 5:49 am

Well, comics-wise I'd reccomend Castle Waiting. It's like a "day in the life" fantasy comic, without all the epic traveling, fighting, and melodrama.
Visit the Tragic Planet!

xelart

Post by xelart » Fri May 18, 2007 10:24 am

sounds cool. i'll check it out. yeah they way you put it is perfect(without all the epic traveling, fighting, and melodrama)

anyone can recommend any other comics too, but i do want a novel/novella with these aspects in them.

maybe i'll make a list of stories in FLIGHT that i'd like a novel similar to.

xelart

Post by xelart » Mon May 21, 2007 8:44 pm

i know someone wants to make a suggestion :D

Scott Hallett

Post by Scott Hallett » Tue May 22, 2007 12:23 pm

Depends exactly on what you're looking for...science fiction wise I'd say 'Oryx & Crake' by Margret Atwood. It's a bit twisty, but not an endurance test or anything. Another great read, with less epic melodrama was 'Light' by M. John Harrison, again Sci-Fi. A little more heady though.

A great, light read without too much pretension would be 'Anansi Boys' by Neil Gaiman. Actually, even when Gaiman does epic he does so with so much ease it puts a lot of books to shame.

I could probably suggest some more if you could pin it down a bit.

xelart

Post by xelart » Tue May 22, 2007 5:27 pm

thanks for those recommendations. its hard to describe what im looking for. i'll try to come up with a reasonable description tonight.

angeldevil

Post by angeldevil » Wed May 23, 2007 3:28 pm

I'm all about the Night Watch books right now (the movies are great too, IMO). As for graphic novels, Sfar's The Professor's Daughter is very low key and fun.

Joey

Post by Joey » Fri May 25, 2007 1:24 pm

Yeah, Sfar's books all have a very calming yet lively quality to them. Professor's Daughter is good. My favorite books of his are "Vampire Loves" and "The Rabbi's Cat."
Visit the Tragic Planet!

angeldevil

Post by angeldevil » Mon May 28, 2007 9:02 am

I just picked up the Rabbi's Cat. It was excellent. I can totally see why he wins every comics award in France.

Other lightweight books I read during down time:

The Sally Lockheart series by Phillip Pullman, some sociological commentary but mainly a beefed up Penny Dreadful.

Anything Dianna Wynn Jones, but the Crestomancy series is the best.